North East and Yorks Group. Dark Peak 25/04/09 AFTERMATH

great pictures and a write up that was so detailed my legs started to cramp up in empathy- wish I had been there- looks like it was (dare I say the horrible word) awesome!

Nice bikes and looks like a great bunch of lads and lasses- well done :cool:

reanimation":3obd1wso said:
M-Trax, great to meet her, she took it all in her stride I was surprised she left at dinner as she seemed to be doing well. Fair enough, knowing another dose of what ya done was coming is a bit crazy i realise.

I could have made it back, but I figured I was some what slower than you guys and being a mathematician I did a quick calculation on how long it would take for the return based on the mornings journey. I didn't want to hold you guys back till the sun started going down so opted for the 'Dan' get out clause.

Great pictures, makes me want to go and do it all again. :D

m-trax":3drpmfbb said:
reanimation":3drpmfbb said:
M-Trax, great to meet her, she took it all in her stride I was surprised she left at dinner as she seemed to be doing well. Fair enough, knowing another dose of what ya done was coming is a bit crazy i realise.

I could have made it back, but I figured I was some what slower than you guys and being a mathematician I did a quick calculation on how long it would take for the return based on the mornings journey. I didn't want to hold you guys back till the sun started going down so opted for the 'Dan' get out clause.

Great pictures, makes me want to go and do it all again. :D

Does this mean that, if I had gone by road, I could have had a lift? :?

I'm sure it would have taken me twice as long on the road even with the pushing and tugging of the bike that I had to do over the hill. I think I walked as much as I rode - possibly more! There were times when I wondered if I'd ever see my wife and kids again. Although I did ride the 'flagstoned' stretch on the top and up that vicious cobbled climb at the end up from the bridge. Easier going up it than down it!

Whatever, I enjoyed everyone's company and the scenery, the view from the top on the way back was outstanding. I'm sure you could see the Humber Bridge from there on a really clear day.

But I wouldn't like to be lost up there on a bad day - a frightening prospect!

Yeah I was wondering how we were going to do it TBH, there was a few second, third, fourth... winds that almost sped us up a bit, I think it was as determination set in, plus knowing the route now (backwards) you had an idea what was in store. Top effort all round IMO impressive :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Have to try hard to find a route to top that for next month now. Time to get Google Earthing methinks ;)

Old Ned":p4n8gdpw said:

Yes, We looked out for you on the way back but obviously didn't see you as you had gone back across cut gate.

m-trax":i785yr85 said:
Old Ned":i785yr85 said:

Yes, We looked out for you on the way back but obviously didn't see you as you had gone back across cut gate.

Well, what a b.......... :roll:

Never mind, it's all character building stuff - not that I need it that much ;)

Dr S said:
Halfway down and Mark ponders wether he can be seen from outer space. The answer yes
I know i'm carrying a bit extra but thats harsh by anyones standards :D

Serious note, now the dust has settled and my body has recovered I really, really enjoyed that ride. Perhaps i've forgotten the pain but i'm up for that again in the future. A revisit perhaps?

Really great to read everyones reports too, I think it's a tribute to the days slog that everyone (bar P20 at this moment in time, looking forward to seeing your pics) has written so much about their experience of it.

Oh and in my defence, the Raleigh kit is pretty tame compared to my retro alpinestars gear!

Yeah cool man, I'd love to get my mitts on some Orange or Muddy Fox stuff, I'd be like sponsored by Terrys! I think your outfit deflected everyone from P20's fetish hole! :LOL:

A september return would be good, still warm but the heather will be in bloom and the autumn colours would be beginning to turn. I was so impressed with the riding in the Peaks that I'm going to propose that next years Big Dirty Weekender is based in Edale.

Si

Back