No resistance

12monthban

Dirt Disciple
Hello out there,
I don't know if anyone has come across the issue I'm having?
My rear cassette seems to be spinning with no resistance, the chain is engaged correctly but there is no resistance while pedalling.
If i then change gear then it engages and I can cycle normally, it is becoming a bit of a pain in the ar$e and means I can't ride the bike normally or far.
It has a screw in 7 speed cassette.

Any information would be great...
Happy 2012 to you all!!
Tommy

if it's a screw-in freewheel, it may be that the threads have stripped on either the sprocket set (hopefully) or the hub.

if, as suggested, it's the pawls, lie the wheel on its side and let some lubricating oil penetrate into the hub and leave it for a while.

Nice one,
Thanks both of you, kinda hoping its not the cassette that needs replacing!
Ill try the oil and see what happens!
Tom

Tel":3tdcajfj said:
Cassette bodies aren't too difficult to replace....

OP says it's a screw-on block (NOT cassette) so not quite so easy. Could be sticking pawls and a good soak in penetrating type oil may sort it. Otherwise it's a strip and rebuild (never done it myself so can't comment - but I know the theory) or a 'new' block.

What make block is it? You'll need the correct remover to get it off if you go for option 2.

Sticking a block back togetherafter dismantling takes a lot of patience, sticky grease and cotton thread....... Personally I'd buy a new one if it doesn't respond to a good oiling :)

Shaun

Old Ned":20vjfreb said:
OP says it's a screw-on block (NOT cassette) so not quite so easy. .

Actually he says "Screw on Cassette" :p

I'd agree with Shaun and just buy a new one.

Really not difficult, especially if only 2 flag type pawls. Easy to poke them in with a screwdriver. My first 5 speed freewheel (Cyclo) in 1950 was made with 3 half-moon pawls, and after the first time I got 3 terry tool clips, ground a bit off one end, and they just clip over the pawls, and are removed as the inner is dropped into the outer. Later something like this was available commercially. We used a strand of old brake cable to replace the pawl springs. The end plate is always left hand thread.

Back