No need to get rid of your retro helmet

This is pretty interesting. While it shows that time itself does not dramatically degrade the helmet, I imagine they factor in a compromise of the helmet from wear and tear. I have mine all sitting on a shelf in the front room, but they spend a lot of time bouncing around in the boot of the car, hanging off my handlebars outside cafes, getting dropped on the floor when I load/ unload the car. I wonder how much all those little knocks add up?

use and age are different things. A shelf-life in a box protected from the elements is one thing. A sweaty head out in the sunshine and show (on the same day perhaps) is different.
I'm not saying they will kill the helmet, but they are different. The materials will degrade over time, and they will degrade with use. The question is how quickly, and to what extent.
I have never considered my helmet to have a lifespan. I know the PPE helmet at work have a marked life and then its replaced (same argument I suppose, right or wrong) and I still use the same helmet I got around 1998, and have no concerns that it is less effective than it was on day 1.

Re: Re:

GrahamJohnWallace":vw6g74j8 said:
...there seems to have been little useful development over the years apart from improved fit and ventilation...
And these are both important considerations to me - my newer helmets fit better and are significantly better ventilated than my old Sub6 Pro.

I buy $30 helmets today at big box shops that fit and ventilate better than my $130 helmets from the mid-90's... They have come a long way. Remember when they didn't have any decent retention system, just the 4 straps?

My daughter had a cheap $25 helmet for a few years. After a while, the cracks in the shell began to become joined up, so we retired it. For fun, we took it into the back yard and attempted to stomp it, just to see what sort of strength they offered.

I nearly broke my ankles on the first jump. They're alot tougher than I'd have guessed. Getting it to break took REAL effort.

A girl I grew up (mid-'80's) with was reduced to an invalid when her flip-flop slipped off her pedal, foot into front wheel, head into curb. She was mid-teens. I know it was a 1 in a million incident, but I'll long remember the blood stain on the curb, the destroyed potential, the anguish in that family.

J

Interesting. Got a Bell Reebok Pump lid in the garage. The Reebok bit still works so I'm sure the Bell bit will be good a while longer too :p

FSXStumpy":1adkn9ap said:
My daughter had a cheap $25 helmet for a few years. After a while, the cracks in the shell began to become joined up, so we retired it. For fun, we took it into the back yard and attempted to stomp it, just to see what sort of strength they offered.

I nearly broke my ankles on the first jump. They're alot tougher than I'd have guessed. Getting it to break took REAL effort.
J
This toughness is a double edged sword. With a direct impact the foam will absorb energy as it crushes thus protecting the head. But with a fast glancing blow the foam is too stiff and the head is likely to rotate violently instead. And what most of the helmet manufacturers do not tell you us that it is these rotational injuries that are responsible for the majority of incidences of brain damage and concussion. As a result there have been serious cases of brain damage were the helmet is hardly damaged as a result of them failing to absorb the energy of the impact.

Because of this a Scandinavian company has developed what they call their Multi-directional Impact Protection System, or M.I.P.S. This puts a low friction lining between the helmet and the head giving about 15mm of helmet rotation the head also starts to rotate. In my opinion this is highly inadequate and about as much use as putting Brylcreem on your hair before wearing a standard helmet.

However engineered designs were the outer helmet can rotate a considerable amount relative to the scalp will be expensive to develop and would mean companies having to admit there is a problem with the existing designs and testing procedures.

Their may be a low tech solution of wearing a cycle helmet cover that may stop an impacting surface from gripping and rotating the helmet and head.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... lmets.aspx

Rant over!
Sorry for going off topic :facepalm:
If you are interested in this topic I have started a new thread on 'Poor bicycle helmet design & inadequate testing standards' here:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=336428

Got a few retro ones I'd retired.....
d424f0a96a0af5bc86574b9cc6a73e84_zps587775f9.jpg

Back