I will never buy a bmw (a must read for the Rover bashers)

rd60_15.jpg

opel_signum_niot.net%20%284%29.jpg

hmmm?

Hmmm, Im still confused about this tech stealing accusation...

When the X5 debuted with its on demand x-drive 4x4 and fully independant suspension, LR was still punting disco 2's and p38 RRs with live axles and transfer boxes...

And the e87 shares a lot of its platform with the e46, which also sired a lot of the e85's underpinnings too... Rover involved? Hmmmm.

I think a little moderation is required before swallowing the magazine and internet spin on things.

Maybe youre right, but I dont think rover bods came up with all this stuff to see it lifted from them at the last.

Rant over...

crud":3rzo0t6m said:
rosstheboss":3rzo0t6m said:
F*cking hell... If that's all true you should send it to the papers or tv stations, a truly awful way to treat a national institution.

On the same subject but probably nowhere near as credible/urban myth, I'd heard Longbridge was shut because one of the top guys in the BMW owners family was/is a nazi and Longbridge was used to build military aircraft in WW2, I
it is true but no one listens or cares....of course for every point above someone will come up with a counter arguement of some sorts.
I'm not going to suggest some counter argument about whether Rover were asset stripped.

But what I would say is that much of the rot, for Rover, had set in before BMW got there.

hoegaardenadds1":r62xipaz said:
there are companies that will do the necessary work (metal dowels, uprated hg, and moving a plug to allow better oil flow{or something like that})to a k for very litle money, and they turn into cracking little race engines! and they cost peanuts cos no one trusts them
For size and output, they are cracking engines. When sorted have much use in lower series racing.

It was just the road implementations that let them down. I'm not entirely sure the general public realise, though.

Another reason for me to dislike BMW's and not understand the sheep that buy them, they really aren't anything special.

Are you having a laugh... straight six engines, rear wheel drive... even the four pots have there own charm....

If I'm wrong - Baaaaaaaa!!

cchris2lou":1k5ymac8 said:
very few carmakers can survive without Governments help .

if you look in france , most police cars are french , and it is the same in 99% of public services .

I am not saying it would have saved Rover , but it would have helped .
Rover were used as Police cars, though - the SD1 and the 800, in fact many of the previous generation of Rovers were.

Not sure what exactly was the reasoning for this to stop, I think 850 T5s were used after 800s - whether that was entirely on merit, or simply a fiscal one based on the Police becoming a business, rather than a service.

ringo":24zu1xr6 said:
Another reason for me to dislike BMW's and not understand the sheep that buy them, they really aren't anything special.

Are you having a laugh... straight six engines, rear wheel drive... even the four pots have there own charm....

In fairness, BMW have always typically been good drivers cars.

That said, the masses that buy them, don't tend to do so on merit. Most BMWs are bought purely because they are BMWs, not because of their driving dynamics.

ringo":1cx9czed said:

i can think of plenty other motors to spend my money on. BMW have lost it, even their twat driver market have moved to Audi.

Back