**No more cross posting of classified adverts**

I see the need for this, but I would just ask that there might be some flexibility allowed-for in appropriate cases.

e.g., sadly, I must sell my Orange E4 some time soonish. It is a model year 98, but the frame was built early in 97 so I imagine it was probably first sold in 1997. If given the choice, I should like to list it on both the 97 and 98 forums, simply because otherwise somebody who would like to buy it might not see it if they only look at one of the two forums. I would in any case contact a moderator in advance to seek advice/permission.

I doubt whether there are all that many on-the-cusp cases like this, so if there was a bit of flexibility I hope it wouldn't detract too much from the purpose of the new rule.

i would pick the forum that the frame is from.

the simple truth (i think) is that if you're looking for something to buy you'd check a couple of places, but if people would post retro in retro and modern in modern then if someone is looking for something retro it will be where it is supposed to be.

the opinion is you only need one advert.

i believe most people use the "View new posts" button, this makes looking in the different sections irrelevant regardless of retro or modern because it shows all sections.

on the other hand if you felt the your bike (Anthony) being a 97/98 would sell better in the 98+ forum then that's fine but the idea is to not double up on the advert in retro aswel, or post a thread with a link to the opposite sale thread.

jonnyboy666":3oww2nsq said:
the simple truth (i think) is that if you're looking for something to buy you'd check a couple of places

i believe most people use the "View new posts" button, this makes looking in the different sections irrelevant.

Hmm I'm not so sure on either of these points. I'm on here quite a bit but only ever on my phone and I'm assuming (since I've never seen it) that the 'view new posts' button isn't available on the mobile version. I imagine lots of people are mostly using the Mobile version?

Also I would think many (a majority?) of us are rarely particularly looking for something to buy but are generally on the lookout with a good idea of what we would actually consider forking out for (often made possible by then selling something we weren't particularly thinking of selling).

I can easily skip a particular subforum for long enough that a post slips to the 2nd or 3rd page where I rarely go. Cross-posting would make it more likely I'd see something that could potentially be my unicorn.

I can certainly see the advantages of cross-posting and the disadvantages don't really apply to me. I'm not saying the new approach is wrong because clearly there was a problem. But I'd be interested to know how many people's usage is more like mine.

Well I'm currently using my phone to browse the forum, I have the view new posts button.

But I'd like to answer you point above as a member/user of the site as opposed to a Mod, my personal feeling is that it's annoying to click on a title only to be taken to a thread with another link that takes you to another page, it just seems pointless to me, the other thing is if there is cross posting it would be effectively a double post which means that one advert would then be in the wrong section,

Putting my Mod hat back on, having to move threads because they are in the wrong section becomes tiresome when frankly I'd rather (like you) be looking at old bike stuff!

Rules are generally never perfect for everyone but this site has grown massively over the last few years and if everyone started double posting and cross posting it would just become spam after a time and that would I think detract form the enjoyment of the site.

:)

Interesting you have that button on your mobile. I can't get the home page on my phone - the 'homest' page I can get is the forum index. I do recall a 'new posts panel' on the main site and I assume the button is connected to that?

The forums are mainly what I'm interested in so it's fine but it's a bit strange I guess. I use a Sony Xperia S.

Back