No longer an ‘88 Klein pinnacle build

What should I do with the 88 Pinnacle

• Upgrade it to XTR 950 with spoked wheels

• Trick it out in blue anodizing w/period correct group

• Go back to what it was when it rolled off the showroom

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, I'm a big fan of this frame having just completed a Pinnacle restoration. Paint & decals are in really great shape. Wonder if you could flip the wheels to help fund a more stock build?

Looks like a 90 or 91 with rear canties compared to the 89' under chainstay U brake variant.

A donor bike with DX or XT of the day would be ideal if you want to go period correct.

MC1s are hard to come by and spendy, my preference would be a period correct 1" quill

An non suspension corrected rigid fork would suit best IMHO. I was lucky to find a nice Spinner for cheap.

I have to say my 91' Pinnacle is an amazing bike to ride and a correct length fork and stem play a big part in that.

Looking forward to seeing the direction you go with this whatever you decide 👍
I will mostly likely use the wheels on a separate build but I agree 100% on the shock. It takes away from the beauty of this bike. Im a big fan of period correct so looks like I have some sourcing to do lol

I don't think that's necessarily the year. I'd go with Canucks assertion that it's a 90/91, actually good news because Klein was really hitting his stride then, several improvements over late 80s bikes for example wider clearance for 2.5's.
That makes me a lot happier as well. I’d rather be using parts from the early 90’s than 80’s. I have a few cannondales with roller cam brakes lol

I think Klein numbers were hexadecimal into the 90ies, my frame numbers at least do not make any sense except the first letter (although even that is non- consistent). Would agree this is post `88 because of the missing U brake.

I'm unsure how useful the serial number is, here's mine, I'm reasonably confident mines a 91':
20220918_225323277_iOS.jpg

Another method I think is helpful in identifying the year is measuring the frame. 1990 20" Pinnacles have a 22" effective (virtual horizontal line) c-c top tube length and 11.7" bottom bracket height, 1991 19" Pinnacles have a longer 22.5" effective c-c top tube length (20" frames have an even longer top tube) and lower 11.5" bottom bracket height.

I think it having rear cantilever seatstay brake mounts eliminates it being an 88'

Oh perfect, ok I’ll dig into the measuring and see where I sit on year. Now it comes to what component group. I’m doing a 93 cannondale Delta v Omega in m900 now so maybe I’ll go period correct XT. But I think that’s going to give me thimbles which I’m not a huge fan of.

I suppose you could go push-push 1st gen rapid fire as opposed to thumbies

Curious if you have 130mm or 135mm rear spacing, mine was 130

I'm unsure how useful the serial number is, here's mine, I'm reasonably confident mines a 91':
View attachment 678740

Another method I think is helpful in identifying the year is measuring the frame. 1990 20" Pinnacles have a 22" effective (virtual horizontal line) c-c top tube length and 11.7" bottom bracket height, 1991 19" Pinnacles have a longer 22.5" effective c-c top tube length (20" frames have an even longer top tube) and lower 11.5" bottom bracket height.

I think it having rear cantilever seatstay brake mounts eliminates it being an 88'
P1010045.jpg

Same, and mine is confirmed 91.

Stock/shmock. Pimp it up gets my vote. M95x is great stuff, better than the period stuff imho. If you want to enjoy the ride, fit things that make you smile and work flawlessly each time. If you want period, I'd consider xx pro as a change to the nor.al Shimano of the era. I'd be using a lot of black/dark coloured parts as I think it would look great against the green.

I had a gator fade rascal once, that wore blue anno very nicely. A backfire pinnacle elite also adorned my collection, lovely looking frame but it was too small so didn't get to ride it.

Stock/shmock. Pimp it up gets my vote. M95x is great stuff, better than the period stuff imho. If you want to enjoy the ride, fit things that make you smile and work flawlessly each time. If you want period, I'd consider xx pro as a change to the nor.al Shimano of the era. I'd be using a lot of black/dark coloured parts as I think it would look great against the green.

I had a gator fade rascal once, that wore blue anno very nicely. A backfire pinnacle elite also adorned my collection, lovely looking frame but it was too small so didn't get to ride it.
So you’re saying 950 and the turquoise ano that I already have….

Back