No bike new (old) motor

Re:

Looks tidy. Odd the timing belt was done so early in. Seemingly a non interference so I wouldn't worry about doing it yesterday. Have a pop yourself, they are pretty simple on these.

Re:

Some trails in those woods HB, but your bikeless! Anything on the radar?

Re:

Timing belt belt was done bang on schedule according to the service book...45k or three years. It may have been replaced since but I have no documentation.

Nothing on the radar ctk..bit skint tbh

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":2sosc9g4 said:
Looks tidy. Odd the timing belt was done so early in. Seemingly a non interference so I wouldn't worry about doing it yesterday. Have a pop yourself, they are pretty simple on these.

A non interference? What does that mean HF?

valves wont hit bits they shouldn't. Many cars can be put straight back on the road after a cambelt break.

interference engine has valves hit stuff when cambelt breaks. Most engines are scrap or at least need massive rebuild/ parts if belt goes.

No google searches were harmed in the above statements.

- from memory, a freebie 2.0 petrol Carlton was started with just the belt changed after it snapped at my local garage

*and Google says:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... e%20engine

And then you have 'safe' engines, where the rockers are designed to snap to minimise the damage if the belt fails. New belt, replace any broken rockers, and theoretically you're back on the road again.

Harryburgundy":2wcc9125 said:
Timing belt belt was done bang on schedule according to the service book...45k or three years. It may have been replaced since but I have no documentation.

Moving back to Wales soon, if your still bikeless I'll lend you one.

CTK":1j4t7w30 said:
Harryburgundy":1j4t7w30 said:

Moving back to Wales soon, if your still bikeless I'll lend you one.

That's very decent of you, thanks :D

Swapping our Legacy for a Forester next week. Test drove it today; belonged to the salesman from main dealer so everything has been done. He is a huge fat bloke so the driver's seat is a little 'tired', but everything else just works beautifully. New aggressive tread rubber on it as well. Doesn't sit as low as the Legacy, so didn't bottom out so much on the tracks round the farms we ragged it on. I quite enjoyed the Legacy in the twisty bits though, and this doesn't feel as planted. Just the 2.0 again, so not a fast car. Try the Subaru forums for a local to do your timing belt. I don't need one for another 30k but the dealer agreed to do it when it needs it as part of the deal. Sweet!

Nice...I am thoroughly enjoying driving mine and despite being just a 2.0 it has heaps a torque and that lovely boxer engine noise. I think I am grateful it is not a turbo, not sure how long my licence would last!

Back