Nice '93 Explosif

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Well I think it's nice anyway, Swapped this with Passiflora, (many thanks Nick))was originally decaled with Euro-TBG decals and painted Black.
Some of you may have seen this frame up for sale for some time in the FS on here, but never even had a sniff of interest :? :? I felt it was an inch too big for me, but having ridden it with the shorter stem and in line post think it will be fine! :D :D
Tange Prestige Concept tubeset (Same as a Teasdale Hot, but welded up in Taiwan) Bare frame weighes 4.18 Pounds in this 18 inch version.
The frame had no dings or rust, but about 30-40 percent of the paint had chipped off, so had it two pack powdered (both Paint and Powder over each other) The primer etching paint coat is in white and gives a brilliance to the finish through the Green which is matched to Kona Apple green of that period.
I was shocked when I rode and then weighed it, it just flies, even though the wheelset isn't the lightest at 1750g, but they won't break or buckle!
All up weight is just 21.9 pounds and I haven't even tried much! The P2's are the 39.5cm atc Triple butted and weigh just 695g

Thanks to Gil for the Decals (have them for Fork and stem, but prefer the uncluttered look?

Ok The 8 Speed 12-26 roadie block is sub 200g and Gripshift and Rockwerks brake levers are both light, but the bars are Merlin Ti and weigh a disappointing 170g
saddle is a prologo leather at 260g.
Mechs are M900
Brakes M900
Tyres IRC Mythos skinwall 1.95K
Tubes Schwalbe Race Nitril (70g :) )
Stem Velocity 100mm
Wheels DT swiss on Mavic Ceramics Sapim spokes
Skewers Odyssey Sveldt
Pedals (cheapo cage but light)
BB UN72 122.5mm
Cranks L & M stardrive 170mm (these are damned light sub 500g with ally bolts and all rings)
Headset Modus (looking for a control centre_
Rings Outers FSA MD Granny Tune Titanium 22t
Bottle cage bolts Spin Ti
Canti Bolts Ducati Disc brake studs :LOL:

Explosif009.jpg

Explosif006.jpg

Explosif004.jpg

Explosif003.jpg

Explosif012.jpg

Phil that is bloosy gorgeous you have done a wonderful job & that colour zings....

:) I must have been mad!.

Looks seriously good :D

very nice phil......what is the chain?.....looks too gold for a sedis......do you ever intend to put oil on it?....

Morning Phil,
Just seen your Kona - very nice work!

Question - do you mean Disc stud bolts? All the Ducati disc studs I can find are M8
Are these in fact Fairing bolts??

That's a tidy build. Love the green.
Those forks are mega light

Carge":14kp0tbc said:
Morning Phil,
Just seen your Kona - very nice work!

Question - do you mean Disc stud bolts? All the Ducati disc studs I can find are M8
Are these in fact Fairing bolts??

Thanks for the kind comments guys, The Disc studs are for early Ducati's 916 etc
Would have Suntour XC pro Thumbies, but Mother in Law (Yes you heard right :oops: ) rides it out on gentler rides and needs numbers to work out which gear she is in (As they do ;) ) The Saddle for the same reason rather than a Flite!
Undecided on the Cranks, although they are ridiculously light, RF Turbines are an option, as are Toplines.
Still pretty shocked at how it rides, had lots of steel Kona's over the years, but never a '93 Explosif, believe these were only made for a while before they were bought out and the Joe Murray Association dropped.
The Wife has ridden it and although too big really likes it too, so now need a 16 inch Explosif too to refurb :LOL:

feetabix":34i79a8w said:
very nice phil......what is the chain?.....looks too gold for a sedis......do you ever intend to put oil on it?....

Chain is a KMC Sl, I only ever use WD40, (have done for 40 years with no problems) keeps dry, so doesn't pick up crud, but has enough wax to reduce wear and gets into all the pins and rollers.

i do like that "gopping" green colour..very nice and i like the black decals and the purple really pull it together..topjob :cool:

Ernie ;)

Latest posts

Back