Next Year's (now This Year's) Classic Rides

Forgot to mention this earlier. Was anyone else having grip issues on Nick o Pendle (or possibly the climb before) I kept spinning the rear wheel when climbing out of the saddle. I'd assumed it wasn't because of the awesome power I was putting down and more to do with a slippery road surface.

Kerplunk":ezdn6vwa said:
Forgot to mention this earlier. Was anyone else having grip issues on Nick o Pendle (or possibly the climb before) I kept spinning the rear wheel when climbing out of the saddle. I'd assumed it wasn't because of the awesome power I was putting down and more to do with a slippery road surface.

Not on N O' P but definitely on the oil-soaked climb out of Haslingden and more definitely at the left turn over the top when my front wheel slipped away on the spilled oil and I had to use all my MTB and 'Cross experience to get it back ;)

I reckon you've got more power in your legs than you think :D

A slipping back wheel when climbing can be a problem but I didn't have it on N'O'P either. If it does happen I usually go up a gear or two as it brings down the leverage and helps one climb quicker too. However, it is often not possible to shift in those scenarios with downtube shifters, same as shifting big rings when out of the saddle (as I found to my cost up near the ski centre with a mile to go, talk about grinding it out...ugh!).

Compact gearing may also have had something to do with it, that or rubbish tyres. I was ok on the oil-soaked climb. My now official awesome power may have waned somewhat too by that point. :oops:

How I felt when I got home.

With apologies to the late great Johnny Helms - but it sums up my condition perfectly!

Attachments

• After Pendle Witches April 12.jpg
    After Pendle Witches April 12.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 382
I'm no ededwards but my PWVV report is here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196562

It's long and rambling but then so is the tale.

I enjoyed the day and hope to be back next year. I was pleased to see the Cyclesports photographer showed exceptional taste and used a shot of my bike as the background for his gallery numbers on his website.

His Flickr page has some great shots as well - I especially like the one of our own Old Ned leading the pack through the daffodils.

BTW: Did the red Ellis-Briggs win best vintage bike?

Mark.

Well done guys, for keeping the retro bike, flag flying.....

Looked a fun day out, with a bit of added pain, lol.

Mike...

mavesyn":2niwxrzb said:
Well done guys, for keeping the retro bike, flag flying.....

Looked a fun day out, with a bit of added pain, lol.

Mike...

Thanks Mike - but it was a bit more than 'a bit' :shock:

Back