Newly inherited Hobbs of Barbican Blue Riband - what do you think?

Thanks everyone, your comments are highly appreciated.

My current thinking is that a rebuild of the wearing parts is needed, and I will consider updating the gears and chainset - especially if these are not original. I'm not concerned about it being equipped with fully authentic parts but I'd like it to be sympathetic to the priginal set up.

The one part I'm not happy about is the badge. I don't think I'll be able to make this look nice, what would be best practice for this?

Thanks again for any advice.
View attachment 538276
Apart from a gentle clean,The H/T badge looks great given that it's over 70 years old.

I previously owned a 1953 Hobbs (one of the last) with a headbadge that was in worse condition that yours.

I gently picked out the green enamel and re=painted using small tins of humbrol. It actually turned out quite well because the raised edges of the badge allowed the paint to be used quite thickly without running. Of course, I lost the originality, but overall the badge looked a lot better.

I probably still have the leftover paint so could let you know which ones I used.

You'd be surprised what you could do with that badge. The paint's lovely and really well aged so I'd be reluctant to re-paint it straight off the bat. Good clean, bit of light wire brushing / metal polish to take the edge off the rusted edges and a clear coat to protect it - a weathered badge that old can tell a great story.

Thought it would've been but the pictures looked a bit rough! If that's the case then you're already there. Clean up & crack on.

Thanks everyone.

I'll certainly give the badge
a gentle but thorough clean first, I guess it is a balance between restoration and keeping the age.

Steve

Back