Beautiful 22" 1979 Rondinella Road Bike for Sale

fastpedaller

Dirt Disciple
A 10 speed Rondinella handbuilt bike made in 1979. The frame was made for me, and I have the original receipt from all those years ago. A real collector's item, but it can equally be used as a competitive machine today.
Vic Edwards (a Reynolds 753 approved framebuilder), worked for the great names such as Claud Butler, Hobbs of Barbican etc, before making his own Rondinella brand (Italian for Swallow) in 1977. He continued building frames for others (including Condor) during that time, before a stroke sadly forced him into early retirement (although he must have been in his late 60's then!).
Vic was a great craftsman...... just look at the detail on this frame..... Photo 2 shows the swaged stays to give good chain/freewheel clearance... Photo 3 shows the shortened lug on the downtube, which 'staggers' the heat-line across the tube when the frame is built, thus retaining the strength better - not many builders do this fine work. Photo 5 shows the integral allen key fitting for the seat tube. This frame is Reynold 531 throughout, and although it 'only' has Weinmann brakes, I selected these because they were the lightest available at the time - they are more than adequate to stop this light bike. I had it resprayed 15 years ago (and new genuine transfers), and have only used it a few times since (the last time was 2 years ago), hence my reason for selling (and I am getting a bit too old for it!). It has had no crashes, dents or dings, and I have touched in the odd (inevitable) tiny stone chip to prevent rust - I really have cared for it.
It originally had sprints and tubs for racing, but I have changed these for wire on (clincher) 700 c wheels because they are so much more convenient, and exactly the same diameter as the original sprints - so there are no brake incompatibility issues. 23mm tyres are fitted, but you can fit different width tyres. The wheels have the wonderful and rare OMAS italian sealed hubs, and the bottom bracket is sealed (also rare OMAS). Cranks and gearing are all Campagnolo. Shimano SPD pedals are the other concession I have made to modernity. All the parts have been maintained or replaced regularly - this bike runs like clockwork - you could think it was almost new. Frame is 22" seat tube and top tube, with 73 degree angles. Rondinella's are real racing bikes (not to be confused with mass produced drop handlebar bikes called racers and sold in lots of stores). Just do a google to find out the history, and a search on completed items to find the value! The Omas parts are very valuable also, but I don't want to break it up to sell the parts. £495
I tried to add a photo, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Please mail me if you require photos (any specific parts if required) or for more details.
p.s. I realise that geographically we are not ideal (though Norfolk is a great area to cycle!) If this bike was in London I've no doubt it would have sold very quickly. Don't miss out on a real gem - An off peak ticket on the train is about £12, and I can collect you from the local station. You will have to view many bikes to get one as good as this.

.......eBay pics show it has the interesting 1978 4 hole campag front mech as well :)

48AEA812-3B72-4B1F-8092-F919BE3886F8.jpeg

Shaun

Re:

This item now SOLD for the asking price (via popular auction site). Thank you to those who showed an interest/contributed.

Back