How tall are you & what size frame do think is best for you?

Re:

I'm 6ft 3 with 33" inside leg my last two bikes have been 20" which have been fine.
I've always felt I'd be more comfortable in the sense of feel not fit on a 19" but I'm mainly used to riding very low trials frames!

Good topic. My feedback is based totally on Kona's.

I was welded to the idea that a 19" Kona was the best fit for me. That was until a few years back when I bought a 20" by accident and realised it was equally as comfortable. I tried an 18" and it was far too small and cramp.

It completely depends on what I'll use the bike for. If I want something really agile that I can throw around, then the 19" is preferable. If I want something a bit more planted, then a 20" suit me better. To be completely honest, both work very well for me. I have one 18" and it's ill-fitting even with the seat-post right at the top but as a cruiser I can get away with it.

I'm 6ft 2in with a just under 33" leg.

reindeer":1i7jsv3z said:
. And it's not clear to me why I should get a long frame and fix it with a short stem.

Because modern longer frames are *designed* to be run with a shorter stem, it's part of the handling package

i ride about 18-19 on a mountain bike. My Merlin is 18.75, and i have a 19in Marin pub bike. 5ft 10 with stumpy legs. Both my road bikes have 570-ish mm toptubes.

Being a slightly odd shape (at 6" with short arms long legs) always had me riding 18 to 19 inch MTB and crouching around 54-56cm road for sprints. I was more than a bit surprised that I could comfortably ride up to 61cm road and 22" MTB.

Having ridden a few modern I found myself too upright to be comfortable so older geometry worked better for me. Having built loads of roughstuff style bikes, I think I'm gravitating towards a monstercross or cyclocross build permanently.

Re:

I had always ridden 18" frames as that's what my LBS told me i needed back in 1993.
Now, i'm 5 foot 7 with very short legs at 28" and a couple or three years ago at Mayhem i had a go on a 16" Diamondback and found it to be soooo comfortable.
I now ride 16 or 17 inch frames all the time and i run a few headset spacers and a 110mm stem with a little rise and it seems to suit me much better.

Re:

6'3" with 34" inseam. 190.5 cm

I switched to a 27.5" modern bike, don't think I will ever ride 26" on dirt again. It's way more comfortable. Those who are around my height, I don't know how you guys ride 19-20" bikes.

I think Moots makes a 22" of which I have only seen one. Retro XL frames are pretty rare. I've had a couple 21.5" Specialized (Stumpjumper, Rockhopper) and a 21" Ti Mojo.

I'm 5'11" and have an inside leg of 30" and tbh i've mainly ridden between 17" and 19" size framed mtb's with 18" being my more preffered off road sized bike and 19" for light trails and road riding as for 17" i've only found the Wifes 1998 Eplosif a good fit so far for off road use as i use to have a 17" 1996 Hardtrax which i was told was the correct size for my height when i bought it but only to realise a few months down the line it was a bit cramped for long trips but otherwise was great for sprinting down the trails but now it would most certainly play my back up ..

5'-9", I've got bikes between 14" and 18 1/2". It all depends on what terrain I'm riding, for how long, and most importantly, with who. An afternoon trail ride with MTBers, I'll take something 18"ish like the Dekerf, the Sovereign, or one of the AMP bikes. If it's a short ride with the guys I raced MX with on the tight nasty trails on the escarpment above my house, I'll ride the 14" Catalyst. It will be more or less an hour long 4-cross race, so comfort isn't a concern. Carrying cornering speed so you don't get stuffed is.

Back