Newbie with a Hobbs of Barbican

I recently restored it as a Blue Riband, but I am not sure if it is one.

Frame number is D2416, being 1952 ?

I've attached some pictures of it to help you determine it.

It was designed for 26 x 1 1/4 rims, but as I could not find any I've fitted the slightly smaller 650A rims.

Hopefully you can help me in this matter.

Kind Regards,
Erik
NL

Attachments

• P1310623.jpg
    P1310623.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 508
  • P1310707.jpg
    P1310707.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 508
  • P1310625.jpg
    P1310625.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 507
  • P1310626.jpg
    P1310626.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 507
  • P1310702.jpg
    P1310702.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 507
Well hello again, it's only been 5 years since my last post, I'm still alive and so so is the Hobbs although not a tap has been done to it since then.
I'm afraid it's been languishing in the shed all this time whilst I was restoring two cars, one of my pride and joys has been sold and I'm now converting my work van into a camper but things have come to a halt as I still need it to be a work van for a few more months before I fully retire.
This has left me twiddling my thumbs until today when I looked up and saw the Hobbs, now how long this resurgence will last I'm not sure, anyway found the tub of bits pieces and started polishing, things have not kept very well some are touch and go as whether or not they can be dragged back or be replaced with some similar retro gear.
Took some pics but need to get them off my phone so I will resume then.

great to see this thread back up and running :)
Bluto, the best builds are always the slow ones ;)
At least you still have it and if it's not going anywhere then what is the rush? I have a Jack Taylor in the loft which is very similar. Though nowhere near the age of your beauty. It is never going anywhere so the restoration can wait for another time.
I am glad you still have it as I had a 52 Blue Riband Hobbs that I sold a couple of years back. At the time I needed to raise some family money and sold my Blue Riband and also a Colnago Master. The Blue Riband went to a lady in Ohio and while I have never given the Colnago a second thought, it's the Blue Riband that of all the bikes I have ever had, I still wish I had to ride. That's life but sometimes one comes along that is special.
Best of luck with the build and while it's a long time commitment, I will check back often :)

Jamie

My son and the Blue Riband
DSCN0101 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Well what can I say, six years further down the line and not much progress .
A lifetime of working in the building trade has caught up with me and I can't see me finishing the build or even getting on it if I do.
Therefore the Hobbs has to go, is there a for sale section and could you steer me to it please.
Would there be iterest for the frame and other items on here or will it be an eBay job.
Thanks, Colin .

Back