Newbie saying hi - few q's to get me started!

Hi guys,

Thought i would say hi and introduce myself.

I've been a BMXer most of my life (i'm mid 30's-cough!!), but had a fair spell of MTBing back in the mid 90's. Unfortunately i was seriously injured in a motorbike accident in 2000 and spent 8 months in hospital, resulting in a very very seriously broken left wrist. This had to be operated on four times over a three year period and has left me with very limited extension/flexion in my wrist and not a lot of feeling in my fingers due to nerve damage.(and some great scars!) Along with a few other less serious breaks and bumps i had to pretty much give up riding bikes (and motorbikes!),but i'm glad to say over the last few years i've slowly been able to build up some strength and confidence and i'm now back on course to enjoy some relatively spirited riding! Yay!

Anyhoo, whilst my BMX collection (PK Ripper, a Haro and a GT), sits gathering dust in my 'bike bedroom', much to the annoyance of her indoors, i've been pining for a retro ride like my old Muirwoods i had back when i was Mtbing. It just so happens while i was talking to one of my colleagues at work about tis fact, it just so happened that he had some old mountain bike in the shed at his dads house, and if i wanted it i was welcome to it for £50. So i went and had a look today and it turned out to be a 1997 Marin Nail Trail, with a ball burnished frame and suspension forks. Win FTW!!! So i took it off his hands gladly but it is missing quite a few bits,namely tyres, grips, brake levers, pedals and a chainset. Not the end of the world, i'm sure i'll pick up something suitable off here or Ebay without to much trouble.

Just one question though if someone would be kind enough to help me out please? Are there differing fitments for things like the chainset? It still has the BB fitted which seems to be in good order, but i don't know if i need to measure anything in order to source the right parts?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Simon. :cool:

hi matey, must of been quite a crash!

bottom bracket wise, you'll be fine with any old square taper crank. out of interest is it the nail trail with the cnc'd chainstay yoke? always my fave :)

welcome aboard, and say good by to the wallet!

hoegaardenadds1":7x28dwrv said:
hi matey, must of been quite a crash!

bottom bracket wise, you'll be fine with any old square taper crank. out of interest is it the nail trail with the cnc'd chainstay yoke? always my fave :)

welcome aboard, and say good by to the wallet!

Ha ha yeah, the wallets about to get a hammering I know! Never mind, will be well worth it.

As for the chainstay yoke, I'm afraid i don't think it's that model, the bike was purchased in 97 going from what the chap I got it from can remember. What year was the machined yoke frame made?

And yes the crash wasn't to much fun! Managed 19 breaks across my fingers, wrist and arm bones on my left side in one monumental hit! Luckily i'm right hand dominant. Made for some interesting x rays!

Welcome Step....'

It should be quite easy to pick up a period chainset for that bike... a Shimano LX or XT... chain-rings are still available. It was the first of the 'compact drive' series from Shimano.

Pls feel free to ask any question.. someone her will always know the answer/solution ;)

Ride and smile,

Chaser.

PS. BTW, if you are still in your 30's you are a youngster here :)

Hi Simon and welcome :D

Get some pics up of the Marin when you have chance.

If its the original bb you I think you will be needing a compact chainset and not one of the older 110bcd ones. Stick a wanted ad up explaining what bike its for and you should get a few to choose from ;)

chrisv40":vlv7kmqx said:
Hi Simon and welcome

Get some pics up of the Marin when you have chance.

If its the original bb you I think you will be needing a compact chainset and not one of the older 110bcd ones. Stick a wanted ad up explaining what bike its for and you should get a few to choose from

Ok thanks for that, wanted ad posted! ;) I'll get some pics up once i can.

Splatter Paint":vlv7kmqx said:
What forks has it got? You may find if they're elastomer, they'll be shot.

Yep its got some manky old Manitous on it atm. They don't return that well so i guess you're right! I'm not sure if i'll keep them or if i'll fit some solid forks, not a lover of suspension period.

Are the Manitous serviceable, or are they gone once they're gone?

You may find that the cost of an overhaul exceeds the value of the fork. Moving to a coil/oil or air/oil fork may be a better idea, especially with a wrist injury. Rock Shox SIDs come up often in the for sale pages and are a very good fork.

SP

Back