Newbie needing advice and opinions

playford":2rws3pf9 said:
campag chorus is 90's stuff really, not cutting edge enough to be crazy prices not old enough for vintage folks. thats going down a pretty modern route though.

personally id go for a set of new aero brake levers if I was you at a minimum.

im not sure if you can run modern sti/ergo shifters on old campag, anyone?

Pre indexing old? Probably not. You might get away with the front mech and the chainset should be fine, if you were very lucky the rear mech might work ok, but it's unlikely to be satisfactory in general. It would still require a change of freewheel, and probably the wheel too.

You can use your old chainset and front mech with 9 speed Ergos no problem. I've done it in the past. Your rear mech will not work optimally unless it is a Campag 9/10 speed. 8 speed mechs kind of work but not 100% in my experience.

The minimum you need is 9 speed Ergo shifters, a 9/10 speed rear mech to go with your 9 speed wheel, a nice wide cassette (but 28t is the max on 9 speed I think), a 9 speed chain and crucially a way of attaching the downtube cable stops onto your frame. You don't have braze-ons for downtube shifters but if you're lucky the cable stops will fit on the band your existing shifters are using.

You could use indexed downtube shifters instead of Ergos - I have these and really like them. 8 speed Veloce ones turn up on eBay quite regularly and can be "upgraded" to 9 or 10 speed with the relevant spare part. I'm about to try and get said spare part to go 10 speed on one of my sets so I'll find out if that's truth or Internet fiction. Again you'll need a suitable band to mount these on. The part number to get for the complete 8 speed Veloce downtube shifters is SL-11SVLCG. The earlier version can't be upgraded.

When you're looking for rear mechs get the 2nd generation which have 9 speed written on them and the cage adjusting screw on the lower pivot not the top pivot. That would be 2001 onwards. These work on 9 or 10 speed. I've just noticed that Campag say the 9 speed downtube levers only work with the earlier 9 speed rear mechs. :cry:

If you get a 2nd gen rear mech you need to get the right Ergos as well. They also have 9 speed written on them.

A bit complicated I know but stick with it!

Mark.

Just how many gears does anyone want - fashionistas!!!

Hey, let's stay sane here...I have toured in Scotland and in the Picos de Europa and in the Pyrenees.

Most of the time 15 or 18 gears have been fine - adjust the transmission for the terrain.

Downtube shifters on a touring bike are fine - especially when climbing. They were good neough for Eddie, Laurent, Jacques - easier to fix when you're away from home.

You can't win if you break the bike.

If I cannot complete the ride up the Aubisque (yes I've been there, and the Tourmalet), then there's no shame in walking up - which I did.

Most people never even get there let alone ride it.

Finis, allez.

Cheers, Roadking.

I'm with you there roadking, I did my touring on 12 gears with dt levers. Never really fretted over gears (or gear) much back then - as you say if the pedals stop going round just get off and walk. Now I'm unfit and don't ride much I have too much time to get a bit too anoraky about it all.

Obviously JamBucks you like the bike but after your West Coast trip you feel it needs a bit of updating which is fair enough. I provided all that guff in a bid to help you sort through the options - sorry if it was all a bit much.

Mark.

I'm with you with me(!) bro.

Ok if you're a Tour rider all the latest, no holds barred on cost, gear is available.

The guys in the old days like Mercx, how many gears did he have - 10? And he never rode on a gear lower than a 14 (apparently), he was a great spinner with"souplesse".

I tend these days to have a range of rings available to change on the chainset (Stronglight/TA are good and good value as they're not sexy, so you can buy good used or even new rings for small change)rather then sweating over gears in the rear.

On my touring type bikes I use Stronglight and TA chainsets...on the sexy stuff it's either Super Record or C-Record, but always old skool Campag - its the best. On the real vintage stuff it's always period kit.

Aestetically I prefer a small block and a nice rear mech like a Nuovo Record or Super Record - long arm mechs are good (like a VX) but I bent one once on a tour which caused me some grief.

Never bent a short arm mech.

If you have a few bikes (like me) I try and keep some commonality on componentry so parts can be swapped easily and spares kept to a minimum.

Learnt this approach years ago from a friend who was a TdF team mechanic in the day.

This snow is bad for me - to much time spent with you guys!!!

Cheers, Roadking.

Hey guys,

So this guy is selling some campag 9 speed stuff on ebay - link below
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390267604391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is this the price these items go for, am i looking at the right things?

Back to the identifying my frame, he's some close up pics if it helps.
Excuse the dirt, it was just used as a prop for a film project and havn't got round to cleaning her up yet

014.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

011.JPG

009.JPG

Cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ouch, that top head lug looks to have lost it's point. The seat cluster and lugs look very Raleigh to my eye. A sympathetic respray looks to be in order having seen the close ups.

As for the Campag stuff those Ergos went for quite a price in the end. I would expect to pay a bit less maybe £70-£80 tops. Also the later 9 speed are a better bet with the rounded hoods like these Daytona ones on eBay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Campagnolo-Dayton ... 4cf39f77e7

Those Chorus were the pointy top ones which I think makes them 1st generation 9 speed. If nothing else I found them not so comfortable as the rounded top ones.

Mark.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back