Newbie Kona/Specialized intro - now with Pics

TooHiBMI

Dirt Disciple
I've lurked for a while, but as I'm taking on a Lava Dome rebuild I thought it was time to register.

The bikes....
It started with "Levi" my Peugeot Triathlon called Levi because of the 501 tubing - unriden for years.

In early '95 I bought a second hand Lava Dome - guessing '91 or 92' model. I had her painted red and she looked great with her new decals. Then one day later in the year I spied an Explosif hanging in a cycle shop just up from Bishopsgate the exact colour of my repainted Lava Dome. Sold to the single bloke with small mortgage and no kids! What a bike ... in the last 15 years I've never felt the need to buy a new MTB, so light, responsive and still great looking with her Judy XCs I had fitted one day one. So I gave the Lava Dome to my B-in-Law.

At some point I bought the GF/Fiance/Wife/mother of my 3 kids a second hand Rockhopper. Guessing a late 80's / v.early 90s - its the white one with a 1" steering. Great bike that just seems to have very little rolling resistance!

As a project I picked up a Crossroads that I've come to really like since I made roadworthy - but its technically quite new!

BUT ...... since my B-in-Law has decided to split from my sister and hasn't riden the Lava Dome in years I've reclaimed her. The paint job is peeling and obviously wasn't as robust as the original. I hate the seat. mud guards, BELL, PadLock and other crap he put on it so I've had them off already. It's got the original front tyre that came with my Explosif (Mr Dirt or Cleaner - can't remember which). I think its got the Explosif's std peddles and a mid 90's XT rear mech I purchased way back.

Plan .... strip, paint "Look at me Orangey/Gold" 'coz I'm sure I saw one on this site plus add some period decals. Not sure about single speed or not simply because it seems a waste not to keep the XT rear mech fitted and I'm trying to keep the cost down. But I'm definately fitting it with slicks and the 'never riden' Project 2's from the Explosif. If I can find some Curves I may get then - alternatively I'll go a head with the only upgrade the Explosif needs (V-brakes) and transplant the Ritchey Logics to the Lava Dome.

Expect pics in due course. The Lava Dome looks a little sad at present and the Explosif is far from perfect but I wouldn't have her any other way. And the Rockhopper is showing (but not feeling) the years.

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding the Lava Dome rebuild.

I can't seem to add an album (2MB limit???) or is it just because I'm new and should RTFM!

so here is my '95 Explosif
DSCN3142.jpg

my "reclaimed" '92 Lava Dome with dodgy paint job soon to be changed
DSCN3147.jpg

My wife's great Rock Hopper
DSCN3144.jpg

And the bike I build for pennys to avoid putting a baby seat on the Explosif
DSCN3174.jpg
[/img]

I think the Lava Dome is indeed a 92 model, with 94 decals and the stem and Project 2 cunningly repainted/stickered to look like 94 items.

The 1995 Project 2 is 2cm longer than the 1992 one, so I wouldn't normally recommend fitting it to a 1992 frame. However it is to a slightly more sophisticated standard, butting-wise, and if you intend to commute on that bike, the slower, less-responsive steering that you would get with a slacker head angle may actually suit you.

This is how a smaller-size 1992 Lava Dome looked.

Attachments

• 1992 Lava Dome size 16 est c-c 16.6.jpg
    1992 Lava Dome size 16 est c-c 16.6.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,809
thanks Anthony

you're right about it being a '92 - I checked the catelogues and remembered the original colour. I'm the guilty party of trying to make her look younger all those years ago. Interesting to learn about the P2s - I fancy using the '95 forks for the simple reason of them never been riden on!

Typical bloke - got half way through one project (95% of the paint off the Lava Dome) and have purchased another. I picked up a frame of a '98 Caldera from ebay today. Slight damage to one tube, but thankfully it looked worse in the photo than real life - its going to be my super light single speed with my unriden P2s. I think I need more houses to strategically place all these bikes.

TooHiBMI":2cniyci3 said:
I can't seem to add an album (2MB limit???) or is it just because I'm new and should RTFM!

so here is my '95 Explosif
DSCN3142.jpg

my "reclaimed" '92 Lava Dome with dodgy paint job soon to be changed
DSCN3147.jpg

My wife's great Rock Hopper
DSCN3144.jpg

And the bike I build for pennys to avoid putting a baby seat on the Explosif
DSCN3174.jpg
[/img]

Explosif.... :cool: :cool: , i do like that bud

Ernie ;)

Back