Newbie, hi to all...My latest Colnago project..

Just curious....... if it had been repainted wouldn't you still see the marks of the QR nuts on the dropout if it had been built?

Shaun

I think it could have been repainted or at maybe partly repainted in the past, drop-outs have paint on them, agreed, but that must have happened a long time ago then as this frame has been sitting in storage for years and the paint shows signs of ageing and overall 'even ' discolouring due to age

The decals aged apart from ..the down-tube one I put on a while ago, but the other ones have always been there..

I'm definitely 100% sure that it has never been build up as there are no marks on it whatsoever....

colnagodecal_zps31074e88.jpg

Interesting sofar..wish I could afford that set Shaun :cry:

Decal says 1972, presumably the Olympic year :)

Are the brakes nutted or allen key bolts? Just trying to work out the year it was made.

Could never afford anything like that when I was a teenager, strangely I always wanted a Viner as they seemed the sexiest track frames at the Skol 6 day event.

White always looks good :D

Shaun

I have been told it's from 1979 or 1980 by an expert in Holland, but I'm sure there are some Colnago experts out here who will be able to date it more accurately...

I am more into my Dutch Road bikes, I used to live on the Haarlemmerstraat in Amsterdam in the seventies, 2 min away from the RIH shop, when I was a young boy I spend hours staring at the beautiful bikes and frames in the shop..could never afford them until I was a teenager and then got a second hand one..still want to get myself a Zieleman, Presto and RIH again..

I worked in Nijmegan and ACTA :) was there a Cafe Mephisto in Amsterdam in the 70's ?

Dropouts really nail the frame to 1979 / 80 sort of era :)

Frit sauce and Frikandel:D

Shaun

Wonder if the number on the drop out is the Enployee ID who assembled the frame at the colnago factory.

Colnagos from the 70s have these two an three digit serial numbers, and like Cinelli they seem to be random.

By 1980 the seat stay caps were engraved with "Colnago" and not the fluted style seen here, also the fork crown and club cut out on downtube lug only are consistent with a mid to late 70s build. I have a '77 Super with the same details.

Attachments

• Colnago Super 1 web .jpg
    Colnago Super 1 web .jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 179
I just found this on Classic Rendezvous in reference to the serial numbers on the drops:

Note: The attempt to determine the year of manufacture from existing bike serial numbers has been abandoned as there is no discernable pattern.

Steven

Back