New user. 92 Explosif project

Teggers

Old School Hero
Hi all. New here, first post so I thought I'd start with a bang.

I have owned this 1992 Kona Explosif since '93. It has been a solid reliable steed and has served me well from competing in the Southern Area Mountainbike Series (SAMS) in the mid 90's, trekking to see my girlfriend of the time (55 mile round trip) and university transport.

It once had Rock Shox Mag 21's and has undergone many component changes, been robbed of parts for other bikes or projects (current daily trundle/exercise machine is a Felt Q520) and has been languishing at the back of my garage for a number of years now.

There is no way I'm parting with it as there are too many memories attached to it but it was rediscovered in the last few weeks of lockdown after various other projects have been done ( house related) and the decision has been made to bring it back to a useable condition.

As with my other early '90's project (93 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 2 - the bike will be much MUCH cheaper!) everything is staying in approximately in-period. Current plans are:

Blast and powder coat the frame as it's a bit scratched and has a few small rust bubbles starting to appear
Marzocchi bomber/Rock Shox Indy forks
Single speed crank and new BB
Carbon handlebars, seatpost, stem (I have something of a carbon fetish!)
New brake levers
V-brakes
New cables
New rear hub
New headset

Re-using bits where I can or have no need to replace. I love the XT thumbies and will definitely be sticking with the rear one. Tyres need replacing but my fave ever combo I hold little hope I will ever be able to get them - the Onza RIP and Rail pair. Rear hub is shot but the front is fine so in 2 minds whether to replace them both or just the rear. Mavic 231 rims are fine though. I built the wheels back around 95 and they've been awesome. Perfectly happy to build another set up.

I will endeavour to keep this updated when I get bits and make progress. In no hurry to sort it as I have the Felt to use and a lot of bits are probably coming from ebay and may need fixing/repainting etc before fitting.

Any reasonable suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• 20200511_185829.jpg
    20200511_185829.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 275
Re:

Welcome to Retrobike. That's looks much better than your description!
However this is a great place to find bits & bob for a retro rebuild. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome to the group :) If you need anything let us know in the 'Wanted' section. We all have far too many spares in our sheds so I'm sure we'll be able to help out.

Haha! Thanks! I do tend to be a bit picky when it comes to condition. For example on the car there was a small patch or rust on the bootlid about the size of my thumbnail. This resulted in a replacement bootlid followed by a stripdown to make sure theres no more anywhere else.

I'll make a list of bits I'm after and see what people have to offer.

I'm having a massive clear out so send me a PM with your Wanted list, I'll do my best for you on components and price.

Awesome! I'll get it sorted tomorrow ( the missus is tempting me with car programmes tonight - this doesn't happen often!)

Looks like you're not far from me either. I'm a little north of Boston.

Parts are gathering... frame is currently at the powdercoaters. Decals will be needed but I want to keep originals. I have emailed Kona to this effect and have some decent close up images of the frame if I have to go elsewhere.

Re:

decals, Gil (retrodecals) does excellent repro decals, there are other too.
Originals will be a no go normally.

As above, stick up your list, see what people have, keep an eye on the real prices on here not eBay hopefuls.

and find the topic in off topic area where cars probably get posted too.

and show mockups or old pics you have.

Cheers. I have emailed Gil. Not that much left to go. And I'm getting picky about condition. Quite a bit I've ordered is NOS although I'll own up to ordering a few bits from china... undecided on cranks and pedals though. Single ring at the front but stick with a square taper bb or update to the newer ones? Hmmm. Then either tidy up my original cranks with new BB and chaining or all new. This is the last major decision.

Back