new to retro..................

RichardSI

Retro Newbie
Hello Richardsi here. I’m based in Wanaka, New Zealand. So I’m a long way away from the UK and it is summer here too as of 1st of December! I got into retro bikes about 24 months ago with a Klein Pinnacle that was my father’s and now it is modified into a single speed with Spinergy rev x wheels and a single rear Magura rim break. Since then my collection has grown to consists of 4 Kleins, 2 Cannondales, 1 Trek Y frame “Rasta” and 1 K2 Proflex 4000. There have been a few more over the months but I did the “catch and release” when we did not bond. I’m currently just learning basic bike mechanics and I’m looking forward to building up more bikes as they come available. My problem or my savour is there are very few retro parts and bikes on the second hand MKT here in New Zealand. I’m constantly looking for Klein MC bar/stems combo etc on e-bay but the shipping costs/over all shipping difficulty kills most sales. Bikes on my to find list are: retro Yak’s, Klein Attitude, Mantra, Cannondale Super V 4000 DH, Super V with a carbon swing arm, Mountain Cycles San Andreas and a GT i-drive team (if I can put up with the creaking!). Mostly I like 90’s bikes with lots of colour, retro wheels, Spingery, Spin, Hed etc and retro parts like: Kooka, Molodo, Sun Ringle and Cook Brothers etc. To be honest I do not own any of these parts just yet but if they com available here in NZ I’ll be waiting to land them. I’m looking forward to learning and sharing with all the good folk on the Retro Forum in the near future. My current project is a Klein Pinnacle that needs a MC stem/bar and a new paint job. Kind regards Rich :D
PS if there are any other Kiwis out there please sing out as I need all the help I can get and I’m happy to help you out too if I can! :D

Hello from chch, there are a few of us around here.
Yes it's a reality that most hard to find parts come for eBay but I think most retrobikers are in the same place with that one.

There are some cool bikes around here you just need to do a bit of searching which is half the fun

Most of those bikes you mention have featured on our local auction site in the last couple of years

There's another guy called Rich (that's his retrobike name too) in NZ whose real friendly and has some nice bikes. If you search 'Muddy Fox catalogue 89' you'll find him.

Hi clocked, jaypee and kinfoffootball
Thanks for the reply's. I'll keep searching which is fun, however I must admit that I have bought a few items from e-bay this past week. An MCI stem and Bar and a 1998 Klein catalog. I was after a Cannondale super V 4000 DH but the bidding was too high. Anyone know where I could get some White 26 inch schwable rocket ron tires? Regards Rich

Back