NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL v.2

Re:

Sloping top tube?
Does the question mark mean are you seeking confirmation?

Yes, the bike at LGF's link has a sloping top tube.

Not "Seventies style"... oh no.. not unless they mean: "septuagenarians will be comfortable." ?

Agree with pretty much all said so far..

oh & I apologise if my part in any of the more light hearted posts in Thread-1 offended anyone.... that wasn’t my intention I assure you, they were more a clumsy attempt to deflect or turn the other cheek to various comments made that I felt were not so much in defence of the frame build quality, but more antagonistic....

If I had £1500 spare I’d buy an old Colnago, a half descent Campy group and some rattle cans! :LOL:

Peachy!":2wg0mijg said:
Agree with pretty much all said so far..

If I had £1500 spare I’d buy an old Colnago, a half descent Campy group and some rattle cans! :LOL:
That's pretty much my feeling on this frame

There is money in nostalgia and of course any company that owns a name that evokes that nostalgia would not be doing their job if they didn't attempt to pursue the profit that can be gained there.

That said these things were produced in sufficient numbers that if you have any mechanical ability at all producing something from original parts is generally a lot cheaper and I find more rewarding. And of course in the case of this particular frame and assembled bike I agree that money could be better spent somewhere like Bob Jacksons

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of what Raleigh tried to do I just feel they missed the target a little.

Oh and as Woz liked it (thanks for the kind words Woz) I feel that gives me the shameless opportunity to post a better picture of the lady team I did

Attachments

• ladies team.jpg
    ladies team.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 264
Re:

Remember the days when you could go to your local bike shop and buy stuff that was actually made in Great Britain .
LBS now when were they ?

"buy stuff that was actually made in Great Britain"

Or even buy a secondhand Raleigh that was made in Nottingham, advertised in The Nottingham Evening Post and came with its original receipt and a card with a picture and signature of the chap who had assembled it. Then years later find his email address, contact him and get a lovely reply. Yes I did this.

Woz":u7dvdh7t said:
IJohnson":u7dvdh7t said:
Woz":u7dvdh7t said:
Kind of agree Thread #1 didn't really run it's course fully, albeit it was going in some circles, the discussions as a whole
were correct and harmless. Most interesting for me personally, is exactly what IJohnson said:

"I also think that this bike raises a lot of questions about heritage and nostalgia and the companies that want to trade on them. And not just Raleigh. There are a lot of companies both big and small in that business. As the consumers we should be able to have a say. Whether this thread is the place for that, I don't know. Let's see where it takes us if the mods allow."

There is a point of course were history can't be re-created perfectly, and there will always be differences - large and/or small - so it may be best to just consider this modern frame as it is and compare with other modern frames on the market in a similar vain.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but from what I've seen this doesn't look like a £1500 frame, so if we are comparing it with what else is available on the market it doesn't look favourable! For a little over half the money you can get an 853 Bob Jackson, hand-built in Britain.

So the mark up really only has value if you are trading on the heritage.

Have they done enough to warrant that? Paid due respect to the heritage?

Good questions. I'll throw this in as a price consideration. It is not a one off like the Raleigh, they have been re-creating and offering this for some time, I read somewhere that they sell about 150 a year, which also may explain why the price tag for nostalgia new modern bikes is high since demand is very low.

https://harobikes.com/collections/classic-steel

Otherwise, tend to agree with your thinking. £1500 would get something very nice custom built from a small builder - if you can find one and deal with a long lead-time of course.

That Haro/Masi is very nice.

And there is another link with Haro and Raleigh. Both are names with great heritage in cycling, and both have released bikes from their past in recent years. I understand that the Raleigh Burners they released got some criticism for similar reasons as this TI anniversary frame. While the Haro re-issues have been pretty well regarded.
One company playing the heritage/nostalgia card well, and another (putting it kindly) missing the target!

The Haro/Masi looks great . Based on my limited knowledge and reviews if I was looking for a classic race frame I would consider it .
As the saying goes."if a job is worth doing,it is worth doing well .

bagpuss":26y8uty2 said:
As the saying goes."if a job is worth doing,it is worth doing well .

https://www.renehersecycles.com/about-us/

Perhaps the USA is more apt and devotes more energy at this sort of thing, while in Europe we can get the original from the local gumtree / car-boot sale / re-cycling shop / charity shop / barn / skip / tip and just crack on with it?

Thinking of what allenh has done is a great example; doing something original and personal with a great result.

Re: Re:

JSH":ny7komax said:
At the end of the day, Raleigh hasn’t put anyone’s arm up their back.
no, but I feel there was a certain amount of misleading, or perhaps a failing to mention something significant. Knowingly or unknowingly is another debate

Re: Re:

pigman":1l02mep0 said:
JSH":1l02mep0 said:
At the end of the day, Raleigh hasn’t put anyone’s arm up their back.
no, but I feel there was a certain amount of misleading, or perhaps a failing to mention something significant. Knowingly or unknowingly is another debate

Are they useless or deceitful? :LOL:

Back