Cutting a Chris king crown race?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've done this a few times already, but on standard headsets. I don't imagine it makes a difference, but on my next build I'll be using a zero stack lower 56mm cup.

Should I still cut a slot in the race for ease of fitting and removal? I'm sure there must be a reason that they don't supply the race like this, but I'm struggling to think of a reason not too, it just makes life easier.

Or is there ....

Why not simply use the correct tool to install and remove it. Its a thing of 2 minutes! Also: King headsets have become cult and collectable. Also they are worldwide pretty rare and almost always out of stock and remain a very high and stable 2nd hand price. You will drop that drastically if you cut the crown race. Of course, you can simply buy a new one (c. race) - but it would take another invest of about 30 dollars. They are pricey.

Remember: I am only speaking from a buyer / seller point of view here. If you only see it emotionless and practically: Absolutely! Go ahead! it is your headset you can do whatever makes sense to you and makes your life with the headset easier.

Just cut a slot in it, I don't see any problem with that. Personally I use a bearing race puller to remove races, but I've got some slotted crown races and they're a breeze. Make life easier, cut!

Personally I have never had any real issues fitting or removing crown races, yeah for sure, split ones are easier slightly but how often do you change headsets around? if it is an only one and destined to be swapped from frame to frame then maybe, but I am sure you have other headsets and that this will be staying put for long enough that any slight extra effort to fit and remove it will be manageable 🙂

I've no issue in using as intended, more interested in why king ones aren't split when most modern ones are due to use of cartridge bearings. Caged or loose balls require a smooth and complete race of course.

I probably won't cut it in this case as I intend to fit and forget, just seeking opinions on what people do with theirs and why.

I've no issue in using as intended, more interested in why king ones aren't split when most modern ones are due to use of cartridge bearings. Caged or loose balls require a smooth and complete race of course.

Ease of fitting and removal but can also lead to the coming loose if the split is positioned at the front or back. When positioned wrongly, riding forces can cause the split to open and the headset will feel loose. Doesn’t happen if the split is at the side.

Ease of fitting and removal but can also lead to the coming loose if the split is positioned at the front or back. When positioned wrongly, riding forces can cause the split to open and the headset will feel loose. Doesn’t happen if the split is at the side.
Well that's interesting. I always have put the split at the rear to enable any water to egress easily. Interesting, I can see why fore and aft moving would do that, under pounding from the front and braking forces from the rear, but wouldn't it open up in any orientation? It's pressure from the crown seat and top cap which keep in all together, and the chamfer means that crown race has pressure all the way around...hmmm,...need to ponder this...

Back