Neglected Koga Miyata Road Winner (1979).

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Picked this up this afternoon. I’ve always hankered after a Koga and this cropped up nearby at sensible money. Took a chance size wise judging by the sellers pics and luckily she’s a 56/56 which is spot on for me!!
3160CADF-10A0-4A90-A205-8B34DE5BF0A3.jpeg
As collected. The seat pin was missing and the kalloy seatpost had clearly been had a go at so I knew the post would be seized. Fortunately whoever had a go at it gave up before damaging the frame. Some wd40 and a fairly big set of stillsons soon had it out and so the strip down begins.
3589548F-E41E-4586-BE05-378C9BFE303E.jpeg
Frame is straight but there’s heaps of scuffs and surface rust, the chromed fork legs are pitted beyond saving too..
804662CF-1526-4D62-8E62-5F3AF1681E43.jpeg B6E37562-DC1C-4FC5-AD0C-E818891931CB.jpeg
Still, the factory kit is all nice stuff 600 mechs and tourney brakes. Rear wheel is modern tat and I’ll need a seatpost and saddle, could be a nice resto project or a patina’d flat bar fixie thing??.
I’d be interested if anyone knew the correct year for the bike? Anyone have any thoughts? It was too far gone to test ride so if you’ve had one some feedback would be welcome.
Thanks

Looks great. Koga's catalogue archive helpfully goes back to 1976: https://www.koga.com/en/service/brochures

What are the date codes on the components?

Thanks for the positive comments and cheers for the catalogue link @RetroDavy. Looks like a 1979 model and that ties in with date stamps on the Shimano mechs (CC/CG).
Gave it some thought overnight and came to the conclusion that I don’t want to spend out too much on paint/decal and tracking down the correct rear wheel for it, at least not right now. So:
78D3B2C9-55C6-4827-8AA3-D04A4612C793.jpeg 9D0FE321-6018-4398-91A0-485D325558FB.jpeg
Had a bit of time today and went right through the bike. The Quando logo came off the rear hub with a small wire brush and that started the ball rolling. I stripped the rear hub and serviced it, removed the 5 speed freewheel and ordered a single Bmx freewheel. I reassembled the hub and shortened the axle as it was too wide for the dropouts, dished the rim and spaced the axle in the frame. 👌
After that I regreased the bb and headset and rebuilt the bike with these Marin riser bars. Removed the big front chainring and put on some more modern brake callipers and levers.
Just needs the front hub servicing then I’m waiting on the freewheel before I can chuck a chain on and try it. Should be nice and responsive - it weighs 9.8kg as it sits now.
I’ve cleaned up and kept all the stock parts so it could go back together at some point in the future..
Nice little project for a sunny day off work, it only owes me the purchase price +£5 for the freewheel as everything came from my spares stash. :)

Good job on saving one of the only Dutch relevant bicycle manufacturer relics.
Rip Concorde.. we loved you.. (or I did.)

Concorde, (google translation)
It's a good read. imo.

I, or really my girlfriend now owns the Concorde Kudu Steven Rooks (might be true/I was told) got imported from Italie. By a Fiat dealer who had sponsorship connections.

This was the bike I bought.
I'll post a picture of the final bike when she comes by again. (got none on file)
There was zero info on the interwebz but 3 or 4 pages.

concorde1.jpg

I'm sorry, really should have made it a separate post.

Back