Navigation in the Modern World

I tend to explore Google maps on my laptop if I'm heading on a ride which my paper maps don't cover.

But, question for RBers - I've had strava in the past as sometimes I like to see how far I've gone etc BUT I don't like the performance stats; I find you end up pushing yourself harder than usual.

Is there an app that you can have running in the background on your smartphone during a ride (like strava), that simply produces a map of how far you have rode and not much else??
Google does that for you already.

I tend to explore Google maps on my laptop if I'm heading on a ride which my paper maps don't cover.

But, question for RBers - I've had strava in the past as sometimes I like to see how far I've gone etc BUT I don't like the performance stats; I find you end up pushing yourself harder than usual.

Is there an app that you can have running in the background on your smartphone during a ride (like strava), that simply produces a map of how far you have rode and not much else??
The OS Maps App will let you record a route, on the free version too. It's handy too if you have paper OS maps with the code on them for the online version, as you can create a free account and add those to it and be able to download them to your phone and so can look at maps even without signal. While that might not seem any better than a paper one, it gives you your GPS location on the map, so rather than trying to work out where on earth you are, you can see (within the usual margin of error). I have it on my phone as a backup for when/if I get lost.

Back