Myles met his old Yeti- Finally.

yetifan.com

Devout Dirtbag
Anybody who followed the Bike of the month compo might have seen this bike on there & be aware of the story.

I finally came to the end of my journey with this bike, I met Myles with it. An ending I never thought would happen, and I have to laugh that I've been to Durango 3 times and missed him each time, so he comes to Scotland, and here we go.

I also got to speak to MonkDawg who is Aaron Gwins current mechanic, and he was the Yeti mechanic (with Gravy wheels) from about 92-98. The guy is a legend, and told me some amazing stories and also told me a little about his personal collection. Lets just say just the description blew my mind away! & the stories are true Yeti folklore

According to the guys, its pretty close, and as I built it from 1 picture, I'm really pleased with the comments from the guys who know this bike best.

P1000151mr.jpg

And for the record, this bike got a 62.5mph according to Monkey.

and to clear up a few questions I get asked/see asked- The front mech is locked out, the middle and granny ring are still fitted. The team ONLY ran these big rings at Mammoth mountaon - Kamikaze & Eliminator races. Myles would have used one a few teeth smaller, but hey, you go find one for less than $1500 !!
Yeti always ran bottles in the Ringle bottle cages, as the cages were a sponsor product, and the bottles were there not for drinking, but so the racers would not cut them selves to pieces on the cookie cutter cages in the event of a crash. Parker insisted on this.

Thats a great picture,the final chapter and you also managed to reunite the bike with the racer!
Was he aware that the bike was still around?

yes he knew who has it.

I'd spoken to him about the spec during the rebuild.

They say never meet your heros, but really, you should make the effort!

I second the 'never meet your heroes' thing, I met my hero, Missy Giove, at Fort William and all I can say is 'wow'....sometimes you need to meet your heroes!

Back