BoTM My_Teenage_Self's 1994 Lotus Monocoque is the November Bike of The Month for 2022

Bike of The Month
November was an 'Amnesty Special', where people got another chance to enter a bike that had tried, and failed, previously. If you take look at the line-up you'll probably be surprised that many of them hadn't already won; a testament to the standard of bikes on the site. We got a bumper crop of 27 entries but, as usual, there can be only one. @My_Teenage_Self took the crown with his 1994 Lotus, kitted out with a Pace fork and an XTR groupset.
Almost 30 years ago this was a real head turner, and nothing much has changed!

Lotus.JPG

TimG_PAGE4.jpg

Wow - I never knew this page existed!

It is, with yours, I'm now aware of 5, although I'm sure there are more.

350.png

👎👎👎

As Raidan said, It's being buried with me in an undisclosed location! No joke, you're the third person to ask me to sell this year :)
Well, if one doesn't ask one doesn't get ;)

I know of 2 or 3 overseas but again I doubt they are for sale. I also know of one in the UK that needs a lot of restoration and may be for sale, if you PM me I will give you the heads up

With so many people after them I wonder if there is a market in repros? Like the Yeti C26

With so many people after them I wonder if there is a market in repros? Like the Yeti C26
Not the easiest thing to reproduce with their titanium dropouts and the construction is not just carbon fibre sheeting.

The dropouts are/were investment cast titanium. They were a carbon sheet layup in a mould, but it was a complex specific layout, and there was a bladder inside. All cooked in an autoclave. it's a true monocoque too, not a clamshell.

Yummy :)

I would take a 108 replica, Provided it was built in a tiny run by a gifted artisan. There's less appeal in a repro mtb though for me. Some production processes like 3D printing would make reproducing them easier, but to deliver the same quality level in a small run would still make them very expensive - likely above the price of an original

Back