My Retro ride - 95 Kona Explosif

ameybrook":1pul054j said:
I'm wondering whether my friend was full of shite, and we missed out all those years ago?

I can confirm that your friend was indeed full of shite. I've seen it done of several occasions and on an old steel frame (or new) its a relatively simple task.

ameybrook":32whd6sk said:
Our framebuilding friend said he'd have no part of it, no frame material would ever retain the strength after the weld. We verified this with another frame guru in the area.

Now you sound like you give you frames a rather large thrashing.. I'm wondering whether my friend was full of shite, and we missed out all those years ago?

I'm pretty sure Aluminium would be a nono - but I can't see why steel would be a problem unless there was something funny about how the dropouts were fixed.
A couple of friends have had cracked Aluminium frames fixed with big gussets etc added - but they all went on to crack again - I'm not a fan.

Considering a framebuilder can change out the main tubes of a steel frame changing a dropout should be an easy fix? I guess the local framebuilder guru simply didn't want the work??? :shock:

On this particular Kona frame it's a breeze because of the way the chainstays and seatstays were brazed onto the dropouts rather than welded. It took a bit longer than planned though because Charlie had to make the dropout - and he made it out of a meterial with similar properties to 853 and in his words it was a "bu**er" to work with. But he doesn't think I'll manage to break it :LOL:

Jaw drops.....How can that frame still be alive, especially given you managed to dent it before it even learned to walk! I guess if you and Fetty can't kill it - nothing can! Hardcore.
Love the fade paint job btw :LOL:

stu_mcp":3eodwfxd said:
Jaw drops.....How can that frame still be alive, :LOL:

Nobody more surprised than me mate :?

I've also still got that Trek 8900 Aluminium you sold me in 1999 with the original Mavic Crossmax disc wheels (1998? front rim replaced and both hubs completely rebuilt with new parts).
It's on it's second 1999 Manitou X-Vert fork because I broke the first :roll: I guess this bike is pretty retro now so I should go and do some pictures.

The Trek has also had a hammering and it's still a lovely ride (but not as good as an OCLV :D ) Been using it to commute from Stoney to work recently...

I also still have that red Lemond in the garage and the Intense frame is retired and hanging up.

Update to an old thread to put in a better photo.

I'm still loving this bike although you wouldn't know that from how badly I treat it.

yo2ybx.jpg

I love it. Has to be one of the most beaten up rides I have ever seen.

I can tell you love it though - brilliant stuff.

Bike of the Year for me!

jez-2-many-bikes":2wp6c4l2 said:
I love it. Has to be one of the most beaten up rides I have ever seen.

I can tell you love it though - brilliant stuff.

Bike of the Year for me!

Thanks for that Jez.

I must clean it up and get better pictures... but I'd rather ride it :LOL:

Info for Kona fans.

It's a 95 Explosif with early/prototype 96 paint. 95 Explosif's were shiney dark red and 96 were matt green. This one is matt dark red - which is actually the colour of a 96 Koa. I thought it was unique, or rare at least, but I've seen two frames with the same colour sell on ebay.

95 Explosif - Same spec but the run-out bikes like mine were rigid only.
yreg18.jpg

96 Koa with the same paint.
yreg1c.jpg

I love this bike, full of character. If bikes could speak I'm sure it could keep us all amused for hours down the pub :LOL:

I could have sold you my 95 Explosif Shock with 300 miles a couple months ago.... I went to a bike swap meet at a local pub and got really wasted. After I blew $300 cash on old school stuff, I sold my frame for $80 USD so that I could buy more vintage stuff (Ringle, Nuke, Real, etc). I didn't know about RetroBike at the time and it was before I was thinking of eBaying it. Here's pics of it (ready for eBay):

Attachments

• RightSide.jpg
    RightSide.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,320
  • LeftSide.jpg
    LeftSide.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • Chainstays.jpg
    Chainstays.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,302
Could the next person who wants to sell their excellent condition Explosif frameset for $80 give me a call please? :LOL:

Back