My new, weird Claud Butler

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
I have this:

DSCN0103.jpg

(excuse my dad's dog's bed! :oops:)

I was using front and rear drum brakes, but I wasn't stopping as fast as I wanted (using dodgy old cables from my parts bin :oops: ) and I had this front Magura doing nothing.

It's a 1x5. Enough ratios for around here, and cleaner lines. I still don't like derralieurs, though; I will be finding some sort of hub gear if I decide to keep the frame.

I went for a lovely ride today, I was overtaken by some lycra clad man on a modern bike but I don't care. It's very relaxing and comfortable; perfect for a tour, which I will do on Sunday if the weather stays nice (8 .

Frame: Claud Butler, Reynolds 501 Magnum
Rear wheel: Arai, unknown Australian made rim.
Front wheel: Alivio, Zac 2000.
Tyres: Michelin Country Rock
Chainset: Deore MT60
Rear mech: Suntour XCD
Shifters: SR "Roots". How cool is that name?
Brakes: Arai drum rear, Magura rim brake front.
Pedals: MKS (cheers, LGF!)
Seatpost: Yes, it has one
Stem: One of those too
Saddle: Body Geometry (after the Brooks, undoubtedly the king of saddles)
I think my Saracen Kili (a freebie, from I believe in fixies) is a much better frame, so it's probably the keeper. This is also a touch big for me, TBH, and too shiny; chances are it will vanish if I leave it on the roof of my boat. :(

Oh yeah, the sticker is from my mate who is starting a bike repair business and did LOADS of work for me for almost nothing. Cheers, the Bike Pimp! If you're fed up with shops that try to sell you a new wheel when all you wanted was a service for your old one, give him a call.

Bit worried about your poor dad

:D

First you make him sleep in a dogs bed !.

The you look out a GT bike box to post him off.

Do you rent him out ;)

COOL BEANS

No, it's my dad's dog's bed, you bunch of sillies. :p

As it happens, she is often provided on loan to carry out ratting duties. She can't be posted though; that's the reason she never went on Ebay. This is a picture of her, the little one; as usual, she's trying to evict Lucky from his bed.

DSCN0338.jpg

I grant you, the frame is much greener than it looked at the powdercoater's catalogue. But it is a really nice bike. It goes great. The narrower block means it has better chainline than it would if it had more gears with no need for a chain device, and it's very comfortable. For a general purpose roughstuff/touring bike I don't think you could find anything better.

Back