My latest - Scott Scale Ltd

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Ok, before I start I think we all know that I won't have this bike for very long, given my track record :facepalm: - However, that being said I think it's worthy of a little forum thread of it's own.

I recently bought it off this very forum. When it arrived it needed a bit of work doing (most notable of which being a bottom bracket replacement as the one fitted was absolutely knackered - I'm surprised that the cranks were still turning). My Cove Hummer went up for sale and some of the money was put towards a few choice parts for the Scale..

I seriously can't believe just how light this bike is. But it's hardly surprising, given that the frame alone weighs a quite frankly ridiculous 2lb 2oz (and that's for the extra large too!).

Here's how it stands at the moment:

Frame: 2007 Scott Scale Ltd. 18"
Forks: Fox F100 RL
Headset: Ritchey WCS Carbon Integrated
Stem: Crank Brothers Cobalt 2
Bars: Easton EC70 Low Rise
Seatpost: Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Carbon
Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM
Wheels: DT XR1540 (240s hubs, XC 4.1 rims, DT bladed spokes, 1540g)
Chainset: XTR M970
Rear Mech: XTR M970
Front Mech: XTR M970 (E Type)
Shifters: XTR M970
Brakes: XTR M975
Cassette: SRAM PG990 Red
Chain: SRAM PC991
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint (chosen because it's no heavier than XTR, it'll last longer, and it's gold ;))
Pedals: Xpedo (temporary until I can afford some lovely flats)

As for the weight, well I haven't had chance to find out yet. However, the standard spec 2007 Scale Ltd (Crossmax wheels, Fox forks, XTR M970, Scott Aluminium seatpost) comes in at 19.7lb. I'd like to think that mine comes in at around that weight, if not a little lighter given the fact that the standard drainpipe seatpost has now been replaced with a featherweight carbon beauty ;)

There is scope to lose even more weight by adding a few ti bolts, replacing the grips, saddle and tyres for something lighter, and getting some nice clipless pedals as opposed to heavier flats. However, I like it as it is, and sub 20lb is hardly what you'd call 'lardy'..! That being said, I've got my eye on a nice set of carbon rigid forks which would save an additional 1.5lb :)

Some photos:

Re:

Cripes! :shock: that's almost as light as my carbon framed road bike! :shock:

Re: Re:

jimo746":10upberl said:

It's crazy light. You have to pick it up, put it down and then pick it up again just to check you weren't imagining things ;)

The scary thing is that it isn't a particularly light build either. There's plenty of scope to go lighter still, but I like knowing that all of the bits on it at the moment are functional and durable, as well as light.

I didn't realise quite how loud DT rear hubs were too, until I had these wheels!

Re:

I used to have a slightly later Scale 10 (same frame), a really good ride but I had to move it on as the frame was a little "racy" for my tastes. Yours looks great and I like the XTR kit on it too.

jimo746":3ktwyuig said:
:?: my scale (just short of 20lbs) is only slightly heavier than my steel road bike. What you done to your carbon road bike to make it that heavy!

;)

Re:

Nice looking Scott fella ,

Was tempted to get a lower range one some years ago , and if the position is racey I may get one sometime . Interesting to hear about bike weights . Never weighed any of mine but would be nice to know out of curiosity . I'll have to get some cheap scales . Or look at the weight weenie section . Never been there . Could be an expensive experience !
Have fun on it chap ;)

Mike

mattr":3lhttflf said:
jimo746":3lhttflf said:
:?: my scale (just short of 20lbs) is only slightly heavier than my steel road bike. What you done to your carbon road bike to make it that heavy!

;)

:LOL: my road bike is just over 17lbs, but for a front suspension MTB that Scott Scale is damn light :shock:

Mike Muz 67":1tg40pac said:
Was tempted to get a lower range one some years ago , and if the position is racey I may get one sometime . Interesting to hear about bike weights . Never weighed any of mine but would be nice to know out of curiosity .
TBH, for me weighing of bikes is only for interest, not a means to an end.
As long as it works, and wont let me down, weight is pretty much a side effect!
And I did the same, bought the lowest model available with the *top* frame. Then spent the price difference on upgrades. Usually ending up with better (or more reliable) kit than the top of the range model........ So I'm within about a pound of the weight of the RC or LTD versions. But at about half the cost.

Barneyballbags":2ptnqajk said:
jimo746":2ptnqajk said:

It's crazy light. You have to pick it up, put it down and then pick it up again just to check you weren't imagining things ;)

The scary thing is that it isn't a particularly light build either. There's plenty of scope to go lighter still, but I like knowing that all of the bits on it at the moment are functional and durable, as well as light.

yep - got one too, Large frame, 2009 with the ISP :)() slimmed it down to 8.27 kg (inc pedals)

Back