my late 80's pine mountain

Charlieboy28":1yydc0vw said:
oh and heres an 88 pallisades trail without lugs,

and i forgot to say that you may have a few problems getting hold of the spinner forks your after, are yours repairable?

as WD Pro has been after a pair for quite a while now, but he may be the man to speak to to point you in the right direction

charlieboy

nice one...

Sweet frame: don't see many lugged Marins. I'd say take your time on the restoration and consider having the forks repaired. Good frame builders can do amazing things with steel for not too much money.

:cool:

the sizing and geometery on that 88 pallisades looks identical to mine but like you say, it has no lugs. seems like my work horse bike is more rare than i thought

stripped the bike down today ready to take to bike shop tomorrow, here are some closer pics.

if i am to restore the bike completely, what are peoples experience of how easy it is to source original decals or paint etc

Attachments

• 03112009179.jpg
    03112009179.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 03112009180.jpg
    03112009180.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 03112009182.jpg
    03112009182.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 03112009183.jpg
    03112009183.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,170
Cool, another old Marin :cool:

Yes, the forks are proving very hard to find for my 90 :-( so much so that I think they only used the type of spinner dropout for a very short period of time ...

I would be interested to see a picture of your front drop outs to try an get an idea, I know defo that 90 was the last year they used them.

Cheers,

WD :)

CharlieBoy.

Yup, you're Bear Valley is a 1988 and that Palisades is a 1987. Pretty sure of that.

Those smaller (and nicer IMO) graphics are the ones from the previous year to your BV and that PM that i was referring to.

All nice.

:cool:

heres some closer pics of the forks, didnt realise but these too have a bit of lug work on them like the frame. one of the legs is bent backwards but does not show the triue extent of it on the pics. im now hoping they can be bent back into position without compromising the strength of them

Attachments

• fork1.jpg
    fork1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 455
  • fork2.jpg
    fork2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 455
  • fork3.jpg
    fork3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 455
ok chaps, well i took my bike to a frame builders and the good news is the frame looks straight and the forks can be straightened. i am getting the frame shotblasted and resprayed in a metallic silver. they cant get the paint the same as the original but atleast the frame will last another 20years hopefully. they saif=d they can replicate the marin decals too which is good.

i have also opted to have new braze ons so i can run a v-brake on the back as opposed to the cantilever type under the rear chainstays. i didnt realy want to steer away from the originality but the new brake setup is more effective and the 'old man' has give me permission to so (as i still class it as his bike realy).

anyway, bike should be sprayed etc within 4weeks and built up by xmas, looking forward to it!

bike now complete and looking like a new old bike! pics to follow!

Lovely frame and quite rare too.

It would be inappropriate to modify the canti mounts in my opinion. Just get another frame and leave this to a sympathetic restoration.

If it's just a hack bike you want, then they're everywhere. By your own admission, this is a bit special!

Latest posts

Back