My first ride in 7 years -- many lessons learned

JohnH":4ald8guv said:
Bad news.

Marzocchis = 1 inch threadless. Saracen = 1 & 1/8 inch threaded.
Well, it's taken an entire day for me to realise that the steerer tube on a set of Marzocchi Bomber Z2s isn't welded to the forks... It's bolted on!!!

The penny only dropped when the guy at my LBS suggested that he could supply a steerer tube to convert the Marzocchis, new headset, new stem and fit them all to my bike for about £100. So that looks like my best option.

Happy days, though you'd get a used stem for very little and maybe even a steerer tube... worth going new rather than used on a headset though.

£100 isn't too bad, you are paying for the convenience really.

Cheeky, but can I have the old 1" steerer? I have a good home for it!! :)

OldFatTi":1fn5i6i3 said:
£100 isn't too bad, you are paying for the convenience really.
The truth is that I really don't have the space... or the tools... or the experience to do it myself.

The other option that my LBS gave me was fitting some new 80mm travel forks for £179. But as Reanimation pointed out, I've got to be careful that I don't end up with an "OMG Chopper bike". Since the total travel on the original forks was less than an inch, 80mm is quite a jump up.

OldFatTi":1fn5i6i3 said:
Cheeky, but can I have the old 1" steerer? I have a good home for it!! :)
If I go ahead with this, then yes OFT, the steerer's yours. I'm not sure when it's gonna be ready to give to you; the LBS has to order the new steerer and find a space in the diary to book me in. Which area of Sussex are you?

JohnH":23qt3vb8 said:
JohnH":23qt3vb8 said:
Bad news.

Marzocchis = 1 inch threadless. Saracen = 1 & 1/8 inch threaded.
Well, it's taken an entire day for me to realise that the steerer tube on a set of Marzocchi Bomber Z2s isn't welded to the forks... It's bolted on!!!

The penny only dropped when the guy at my LBS suggested that he could supply a steerer tube to convert the Marzocchis, new headset, new stem and fit them all to my bike for about £100. So that looks like my best option.

The problem with the £100 is... you could buy a new (ok new to you) frame & forks for that much from us lot.

It seems a lot to me.
It would be cheaper to get a Orange clockwork/Prestige frame that uses a 1" steerer.

An alternative route would be new headset
Tioga SRR-1
Ritchey Logic V2
that's max £11

Cheap stem off us max £10 again.

Wack out the old headset and put the new in yourself (few homemade tools or see if someone here lives near you) else off the the LBS

Some cheap forks of us. Rigid or RS MAG/Judy turn up and don't cost much
Flog your bomers, you already have a willing purchaser.

Ok the forks might not be as good to some as the bombers but then compared to what you have been using they are worlds apart.

I honestly cannot see thowing £100 at a bike that is not even worth that much, you'll probably make the front end very high the centre of gravity high over the pedals as well. (I don't know much about the bombers so that my best guess as they are far newer than the bike)

Like I said you could get a whole new frame and forks for less and have a better bike ;)

JohnH":1v81yzii said:
If I go ahead with this, then yes OFT, the steerer's yours. I'm not sure when it's gonna be ready to give to you; the LBS has to order the new steerer and find a space in the diary to book me in. Which area of Sussex are you?

I'm in Worthing area, but on the Downs most of my time! :)

If you do decide to go the cheaper used bits route, I'm still interested in the whole Marzocchi fork :)

Oh, and still happy to help with some spannering/putting it all together :)

£100 is way too much for what your doing here, unless you have a fat wallet and aren't concerned how much you give away. Your LBS mechanic will do the work in around 15minutes. :shock:

Give it a go yourself - there's really not much in it. :D

Stole your picture from your readers bike thread :oops:

I think those bombers are going to be way too long for the bike, even with the sag of the bombers.

I would say think very carefully before you spend the 100quid, and maybe you could consider MAG21 or Quadra21 or even first generation judys

3621269083_2d6fce8dbe_b.jpg

Back