My first ride in 7 years -- many lessons learned

Inigo, Orange71 and reanimation, thanks for the guidance. I've had a look at the rigid forks and they're very tempting -- they're cheap and would probably reduce the weight of my bike. I think the steerer tube on my existing forks is about 140mm long, so those available on eBay might be a bit too long for my frame. (?)

It seems to me that having the threaded headset is reducing my options. If I could replace that with an "Aheadset" then I would have much more choice, no?

As for the fitness, yes, it's all about sticking with it. I was really motivated when I saw a post on RB from someone who had built a bike for their friend and that friend had gone on to lose 3 stones (19kg) in weight thanks to months of cycling.

JohnH":35d5r3vn said:
I'm open to suggestions Steve, but I don't know where I'd find some replacements. IIRC, the forks weren't that great even when the elastomers were new...

Pop a wanted add on here John and maybe a general enquiry about where to / who can get hold of new elastomers. I remember someone doing replacement elastomers on this site quite a while ago but can't remember who - sorry.

Even a small amount of travel can make it slightly more comfortable and give a little extra control than rigid. Not that I mind rigid, most of my bikes have rigid forks. :D

You can always cut threaded forks down too, as long as you have enough thread in the right place for your frame! But yes, changing to ahead would probably give you more options.

Re losing weight - I guess cycling can help you lose weight but there are much better ways. I'm cycling more than ever at the moment, and my arms and legs are nice and skinny - but I still have a gut (and it's growing) as cycling doesn't really tone that area. To reduce that by cycling I'd really have to put the miles in :shock:

Hey John, I'd have a look around for forks before you decide whether to go Ahead or stay threaded.

Ahead should open up options, but you may find a nice threaded fork in 1 1/8" that would do nicely.

You will get an Ahead stem cheap enough, in fact I have a nice Bontrager one that I could sort you out with, plus some money for the Marzocchi forks ;) ;) (Yep, I STILL crave them ;) )

I used to have a nice Project 2 in 1 1/8" steerer but I let that one go :( Will keep an eye out for any decent fork that'll work for you.

Can you clarify exactly how long your steerer is? That way I will know if anything I come across will work for you.

Congrats on enjoying the bike again though, and your low gear comment made me laugh... I do the exact same thing when I'm knackered!! :)

JohnH":1xhmotso said:
Inigo, Orange71 and reanimation, thanks for the guidance. I've had a look at the rigid forks and they're very tempting -- they're cheap and would probably reduce the weight of my bike. I think the steerer tube on my existing forks is about 140mm long, so those available on eBay might be a bit too long for my frame. (?)
you calculate the proper steerer size for your fork by adding up the headtube length and the headsets stackheight. don't know the tioga avengers stackheight. does someone else?
easier way is to measure the steerer of the old fork.
JohnH":1xhmotso said:
It seems to me that having the threaded headset is reducing my options. If I could replace that with an "Aheadset" then I would have much more choice, no?
no really. most bikeshops have a stash of old rigid forks that they sell for little money. visit you local bike store and ask for a 26" rigid fork with canti studs, 1 1/8", threaded steerer and steererlength XYZ (see above).

stevek":yfp6nhm4 said:
Even a small amount of travel can make it slightly more comfortable and give a little extra control than rigid. Not that I mind rigid, most of my bikes have rigid forks. :D
As I found out yesterday, having no suspension on your front forks reminds you what your knees and elbows are for... :D ;)

I did a Google search for "Elastomers for Saracen forks" and result number one was my own re-build thread on RB... :roll:

My plan of action is to do what OldFatTi suggested, and have a look around before I rush off and do something hasty.

1. I need to find out the exact dimensions of the steerer tube on the already fitted forks -- that will help to decide what options I have.
2. I'll need to find out the price of a new headset -- that info will also influence just how many options I have.

I'll report back when I know more! :)

JohnH":50iq6ff4 said:
I did a Google search for "Elastomers for Saracen forks" and result number one was my own re-build thread on RB... :roll:

Bejesus - fame at last :!:

:p :p :p

Back