My First Retrobikey

Beefy FSA fat bastid headset fitted. I'm a beefy sort so wanted some manly bearings. Old bearings came out easy, careful tap with a tuner mallet hat the new ones on without restoring to the headset tool. Sweet.

A shorter CNC stem of unknown origin from my Box o' Shite fitted. I got a persistent neck injury so wanted to reduce the stretch forward and those the amount of angle I need on my neck to look up. For the same reason I've fitted risers, a set of old 6061 Race Face jobs which I've rubbed down, repaired and attached Alpinestars decals so they at least superficially look like the originals.

Refurbef period Alivio shifters fitted, and they look good.

Cleaned and serviced mechs refitted.

Cleaned up seat post fitted and an olde Handsome Dog bum perch from the depths of my Forbidden Box Of Mystery toppin it off.

Front wheel was bang on true, so was simply cleaned and the hub polished. The "sealed bearing" legend on the hub is utter Bullpois, worn nothing worthy of the name seal in there at all. Perhaps they're made from seals? Stripped, cleaned, replaced with grease and refitted to the bike with the freaky polished original shimmy skewer.

Rear wheel next. It needs truing, but not by much. Clean and repack the bearings and give the freewheel assembly some TLC, as well as fit the new 7 speed hyper glide cassette that's on it's way.

Pics when my new pooter keyboard arrives.

Back