Bleeding modern Shimano disc brakes

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Arrrrrg!

Oil on the kitchen floor, took bloody ages to do one brake. The Shimano tilt, force bleed, tilt the other way, force bleed, level up then gravity bleed procedure is just tedious!

Without a rotating bike stand or wanting to loosen the bars, I resorted to propping the rear wheel on the kitchen worktop and my wife held the bike. What a shit show. Not looking forward to the rear brake tomorrow.

The procedure is detailed here: https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/RADBR01/DM-RADBR01-09-ENG.pdf

I've never had a problem on MTB's but road are a PITA. My 105 rear is still a bit spongy after a couple of attempts.
Why do Shimano make the thread for the bleed pot different sizes? I have an Mtb one and bought a little chinese problem solver adapter thing for a couple of quid. It's anodised blue so looks like Park Tools from a distance.

Never had that bother with my rim brakes.... 😁
🤬

But, yeah…..

I have been collecting parts to build a tarty modern bike for quite a while now. Back to back against the bike it is ‘replacing’ (I have no intention of selling it) it has been a faff with internal cable / hose routing and the brake bleeding which I never had before. In truth, despite being the same level of spec as the old bike, it just feels heavier. I daren’t put it on the scales. Still, newer must be better, right? Right? I assume it is you know, stiffer or more aero or has more compliance in something, like the magazines told me!

A lot of modern kit is designed to save a few grams or a wafer of resistance, at the expense of home-fixability.

User maintenance is way down the design brief of high end stuff.
Quite a few components are designed to force you to take it to a shop - no, a "your brand here" service centre (and them fully paid up with the polo shirts to prove it)

Custom tools? Chris King is about the worst. Campag kind-of started it though.

I wouldn't like to set up road hydro brakes without a professional stand and the full shimano Road specific bleed kit.

If I need to do my own bike or a neighbours, I'd take it in to work. Doing it at home even with loads of professional experience is a nightmare🤯

It's a benefit of mechanical brakes.
The only one perhaps.

Di2 firmware need updating anyone?🤣

My Supersixevo with internal hoses is a pain, I bought the Hollowgram bars and stem afterwards and it was not straightforward to fit. It's over 2lb heavier than my BMC Ultralite with rim brakes but the cannondale is faster every time and worth the effort for the sleek lines once it's together. I would not go back to rims except for a cheap trainer or winter hack.

A quick warning to anyone with Mtb and road discs, as I mentioned above somewhere, Shimano make the master cylinder bleed port and therefore the bleed pot thread in a larger size for road levers. Just before you cut your lines on a Saturday for a Sunday ride check your tools to hand. I got this little adapter off ebay, cheaper than buying 2 nearly identical bleed pots. IMG_20240315_190659.jpg

Just building up my first bike with shimano hydraulics. I'm set on the LBS setting up the brakes but will use this thread as a reference point when I inevitably service them by myself! Also without a bike stand 😅

Back