Bleeding modern Shimano disc brakes

So… I hung the bike from the garage roof using a ratchet strap (less wheels so I could fit bleed blocks in the caliper). With my wife’s help and a copy of the instructions (67 pages!) we followed the tilt / tip method to the letter. I have to say, it worked perfectly, no faffing and an instantly firm lever. We either had the bike hanging under the head tube or under the top tube / seat tube junction to get the required angle. We then re-did the front brake and ditto, nice firm lever.

I’ve only gone for a quick spin up the road on the bike, but it does feel very nippy and solid. I jus need to wait for a dry day to go and ride it properly!

So… I hung the bike from the garage roof using a ratchet strap (less wheels so I could fit bleed blocks in the caliper). With my wife’s help and a copy of the instructions (67 pages!) we followed the tilt / tip method to the letter. I have to say, it worked perfectly, no faffing and an instantly firm lever. We either had the bike hanging under the head tube or under the top tube / seat tube junction to get the required angle. We then re-did the front brake and ditto, nice firm lever.

I’ve only gone for a quick spin up the road on the bike, but it does feel very nippy and solid. I jus need to wait for a dry day to go and ride it properly!
Can I just say - bleedin' disc brakes!

But then I haven't touched my hydro disc brakes for about a year, whereas my rim brakes needed attention at least every month.

Admittedly, the rim brakes needed a quick fiddle, could be done in the dark with tools a child could recognise, whereas the hydros needed about £1000 of job-specific equipment, bright lighting and access to several terabytes of information🤣
Tis the modern way.

Latest posts

Back