My 98 Raleigh Tomac signature MTi1000

Here is the modern iteration. As you can see in the earlier photos i had it set up as a single speed. I then came to own two KONAs, and made single speeds out of them as well and dueing the builds proceeded to steal many parts off the Tomac. Soon it was looking like shite in my garage and i felt guilty as this was my go-to bike for quite a while and now it was a skeleton in my closet, literally.

I was then checking out photos of John Tomac from BITD and was struck by some photos of him riding drop bars. Also with the Cross season coming up i found my excuse to rebuild "John" I was obviously going to keep him RETRO but also quite functional.

I first had to tackle the cable routing as i had drilled off the original rivited ones off the frame =( Here is a bad pic of the bike as it is now. i have been commuting on it for a couple weeks and taken it out cyclocrossing and it rides awesome. sitting on 1.8 inch tires it is fast on the street with plenty of traction in the dirt!

Attachments

• tomac.jpg
    tomac.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,279
Here are some detail shots of components and how i dealt with cable routing

Attachments

• IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,272
  • IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Re: Tomac Titanium Raleigh

jkevin":qhjiwazu said:
I removed the seatpost and measured the post-approx 30mm-maybe it's the 29.8

just picked up one of these bikes locally c/w original Dyna-tech (Kalloy) seatpost which is stamped 30.0 ;)

Will be stripped & cleaned then built up with the Trimnell Ti forks I've had waiting for the right frame.

took her out to the Cross Race today! she performed beautifully. smaller wheels made me faster in the twistys! fun times

Back