My 1980s Raleigh Roadies

LewisR

Retro Newbie
I have five at the moment. Was almost six last weekend.

'85-ish Team Rep.

2080170500072615733S600x600Q85.jpg

Frame - 531c
Crank - Ofmega Mistral
F & R Mechs - Campag. Nuovo Record
Brakes - Weinmann Carrera levers & calipers
Hubs - Campag. Nuovo Record
Saddle - Err, Should be Selle Italia Turbo but that on the bike below.

I bought the bike about two years ago and tried to get it back to original spec. as possible (it had awful Miche stuff on it). As it turned out, it's a mix of '84 & '85 spec. The rims are Mavic MA2s (I think), which look like GP4s but take tyres not tubs. I rebuilt both wheels myself, having got a set of Nuovo Record hubs and not wanting to pay the bike shop £30 a wheel!

'85 ish Road Ace

2928167370072615733S600x600Q85.jpg

Frame - 531c
Groupset - Shim. 600
Saddle - Selle Italia Turbo. Should be Isca Selle but that's on the Quasar for now.

'85 ish Quasar

2303432314_df4bd083dd_b.jpg

Has since got an aero seat-post, the Iscal Selle saddle form the Road Ace & Shim. 600 pedals from the Road Ace as that now has Ultegra SPD-SLs

My newest roadie:
'89 Record Ace

2926675994_96570953a8_b.jpg

Frame - Reynolds 653.
Groupset - Shim. Sante.

The saddle looks a bit out of place. I'll have to try and get an original form e-bay or somewhere.
I bought this back in '89 wanting a Road Ace. The bike shop didn't have one in stock but had this (one model above). I didn't think I could afford it but asked for the price anyway. Turns out I was just £10 short, so borrowed it.

I could do with a "new" uniglide cassette but can't get one for toffe. Any ideas. Can hyperglide be midified to fit?

Finally:
'83 Wisp

2502432010072615733S600x600Q85.jpg

Don't ask, I just like the paint job & the Mixte frame. Brake cables need rerouting and could do with new tyres too.

Anyway, I've had to since force myself not to buy a Raleigh Centenary & an '86 Road Ace but next time I may not be so strong!!

I've got a 12-21 Uni-glide Cassette but top cog/lockring won't fit. Can probably find you a 14T which would give you a 6-speed. That any good?

If your top sprocket is still OK (the locking one) you can dismantle a 7 speed hyperglide and use the five largest with your locking one. You'll need to grind or file down the hyperglide notch on the sprockets though to make them fit the freehub and re-use your existing spacers.

The other trick is to dismantle your cassette and turn the sprockets round - the teeth will only be worn on the leading edge so turning them around gives you 'new' teeth.

I've not done this - but having several bikes running 6-speed cassettes I've researched the issue somewhat. There is a shop in the US that has 6-speed cassettes, but they're not cheap and the ranges available are limited.

Your RA is crying out for a nice early 90's Dura-Ace STI group though.

Hello,
Yes, I've been a member of raleighbikes.com for ages now. I'm Ray Lee (get it??)

I knew that uniglides could be swapped round to use the other side. It's not only worn though, it's a 19-13 straight through block and currently residing in France. Those hills/mountains are a bit tricky I also knew of the idea of using hyperglide and filing off the positioning spline fit. In fact, I could turn the bottom locking-sprocket around and use new hyperglide sprockets.

Is the RA Record Ace or Road Ace which you suggested I fit Dura Ace too (which I have a sneaky feeling you may beb trying to sell me).

Back