Mutiple splatter paint kona content, page 18/19 for latest builds

Re:

@Muddypaw the decals came from gil mate,there spot on.
I'll be needing some more though because i've decided on what to do with the Explosif :)
My plan is to send it off to Argos for a full respray,fit new decals and then have some fun splatting the frame with yellow. After that i've decided to strip my other Explosif down of the nos parts and fit those to it,then i'll have my perfect 89 explosif (minus the elusive nos Reaction tyres) Also i'm going to ask Argos for some touch up paint of the same colour to use on my original Explosif.

Which leaves my original Explosif with no parts,so i've always thought Kona were stingy not putting XT on there flagship bike of the time when everyone else did so the plan is to go down that route with XT ll from that year.

Once everything's sorted with the respray i'm going to build the two up together so it'll be a duel Explosif build but until then you's will have to wait :LOL:

Re:

Hi mate , your praise of gil's workmanship just makes me want to get started on my 89 Firemountain but that's just not possible due to recovering from an op atm and yet again your praise proves once more how good every one says he is :cool: ..

So you've decided on respraying the Explosif well it does need it really but at least you'll enjoy doing the splatter affect although i'm not sure where you'll do that due to it being a messy but fun job but it will be well worth it mate and i take it you'll apply the decals 1st then as that's how mine show's it and i can't wait to see yours but guess i'll have to eh! :| .

That's a good idea asking for some touch up for your original Explosif as that will save you the hassle trying to get a decent match elswhere ;) .A dual Explosif build will take more commitment but will be twice as rewarding so i'm well stoked to see that happen and yes i too can't understand why Kona never put XT on the Explosif as it certainly deserved it and lets face it at the prices they were charging it sould of been done so yes i don't blame you for wanting to fit XT as it's fullfilling the dream of how it shoud've been so i'm looking forward to seeing it done big time :p ..

Re:

Finally had some spare time to start the explosifs,firstly i've taking the majority of the nos parts off and carefully packaged those away. So while i was doing that i thought i'd try some of the XT and some Deore ll parts to get a feel for the look.

Those shifters and levers are nos so they're coming off for either Deore ll or XT used ones. With the wheels i've got some nos black Deore ll which i think i'll have laced up to the silver RM20's off the other bike,if they clean up nicely and are useable.

Attachments

• IMAG3162_1.jpg
    IMAG3162_1.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 500
  • IMAG3164_1.jpg
    IMAG3164_1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 500
I'm really loving the look mate and tbh i think black rims look better but of course that does have it's down side with use so any way will just have to wait and see where you go with the wheels as i'm sure what ever you choose it will look good ..

Re:

With a bit of help from some members on here,Colorado and Retrospud i've managed to get nearly all the Shimano Deore XT ll parts sorted so time to start building the Explosif.

First up the essential part of the build,i've got the XT headset fitted and went with the 1990 Velocity stem for a more racing look and nos Tange Prestige bars. For somewhere to sit i've used the 1989 Turbo saddle with the XT seatpost and XT seatclamp.
After that i just used a new bottom bracket,thought about using a XT cup and cone but not very keen on them to be honest and there's the XT sharkfin aswell.

So first part done,next part will be to clean up the XT drive train so there all nice and shiny before they go on the bike.
More pics of the parts and the bike will follow when the weather brightens up,hopefully tomorrow :D

Attachments

• IMAG3183_1.jpg
    IMAG3183_1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 441
  • IMAG3181_1.jpg
    IMAG3181_1.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 441
  • IMAG3182_1.jpg
    IMAG3182_1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 441
The finish on the XT-II derailleurs seem to suit that frame color scheme really really well.

k-rod":btf116tb said:
The finish on the XT-II derailleurs seem to suit that frame color scheme really really well.

They do go well together :LOL:

I'm still amazed why Kona didn't use the XT ll on there flagship bike like the other brands but instead went with Deore ll,especially when it looked the way it looks.

Re:

Wheels and tyres have been picked,this wheelset has just been hanging up after one of my builds was dismantled. They're nos DX hubs on nos Ritchey rims and have only done about 10 miles since they were built and the tyre's are ground controls which have a nice profile to them.
I was going to use the nos black RM20's but i've decided to keep them for the other Explosif.

Attachments

• IMAG3186_1.jpg
    IMAG3186_1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 381
  • IMAG3188_1.jpg
    IMAG3188_1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 381
Erm i've changed my mind regards the black rims being more suitable colour wise as now you've put those wheels on i actually prefer the silver rims tbh ..

Muddy paw":2d02uwej said:
Erm i've changed my mind regards the black rims being more suitable colour wise as now you've put those wheels on i actually prefer the silver rims tbh ..

Yeah they do go nicely with the bike,i think because they're nice and shiny helps aswell :LOL: ,the original from the factory bike had all silver wheels also.

Back