Musing on Muddy Fox, Orange, and Japanese MTB frame manufacture

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Never had an MF until recently but always lusted after one. This '90 Courier Mega was very generously karma'd to me.

B865D303-DB8C-479C-B80B-C278B7B09337.jpeg 0521CA13-1565-4F45-A339-1158E0BC4D1D.jpeg

It's so nice in its detailing. Not especially light but not too bad. I haven't yet decided whether to have it painted or build as-is. Planning to build up with better than original spec period kit - I reckon the frame is worth it.

12494C4B-C2EE-46EF-81B6-5853ABEF595A.jpeg 520A2066-56A0-417A-81B5-59B0E3203D7C.jpeg

Anyway, we all know about the MF/Tushingham/Orange link. But I'm wondering, given that this appears to be made in Japan, whether (early) Oranges were too..? Presumably later Orange frames are of Taiwanese manufacture?

It's so nice the way it's built, and in many ways very similar to a Clockwork (wishbone stay etc). Makes me wonder, the Clockwork effectively evolved from the original Courier, but were Muddy Fox copying the orange, later in the game with frames like this? Or just adopting industry-wide trends?

I always thought I wanted an early Courier (just an iconic bike) but I think this is nicer... I wonder whether MF were producing nicer still frames in the early 90s - haven't managed to get my head around their early 90s range with respect to frame spec/quality... where does this sit?

Sorry for a bit rambly post.

Lovely bikes, and where it all started for me. Check out the MF in my signature if you want to see an example with upspecced parts - which is well worth it IMO.

Here’s a link to 1990 brochure for you :cool:

Since the first post I've actually picked up one of the Muddy Fox Clockwork's! Frame and details are much closer to the MF than later 1989 Orange. I'll do a comparison thread between this and my traditional 89 at some point.

Bought this from the original owner and he told me it was one of the first 100 Orange bikes.:cool: Photo 05-03-2022, 09 33 40.jpg

Very similar. I'm also wondering if the Stalk stems are the same as the MF original. I'm assuming your Orange is 1" steerer though unlike the "oversized" Mega.

I guess the main thing with the Oranges is that they were available in custom spec.

Latest posts

Back