Muddy Fox mystery

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":2pmuytks said:
Well said. I wish I'd had the courage of my convictions and bid a bit higher.

:cool:

Sorry, i wasn't thinking of you when i wrote my first post, i was amazed i missed it altogether if i'm honest, i couldn't believe how well it has been kept when i saw your post, i genuinely felt like id missed the trick.

It did go for more money than i would have expected for sure, but with that said, if you look at the selling price of the equivalent Specialized of the same era in a similar condition, it actually is cheap even at the winning bid. Essentially its the British version of it in my eyes, and i genuinely think its, our most significant mass produced model of that time to the English Market, like the Specialized was to the U.S market.

I guess the main difference is the American market recognize its history and covet it, where we always seem to lack the same conviction and value in our history.

This may come down to the age old argument that the Americans did invent the mountain bike. (or not dependent on who your talking too.) but we certainly don't record and recognize half of the achievements we have made nor our contributions to the industry of the time or it as a sport. If we did, our archives would be full,

Edit.

I guess the above is little more than a belief due to growing up with the mountain bike (like most of us ) and spending an age around it, and why i was gutted when Charlies kickstarter project didn't get going.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... cy-project

Charlie has decades of history, a treasure trove, an arc of the mountain bike covenant, all stored away, he didn't just save it, he wrote it, spoke it, lived it.

Every time i pick up a UK mag there's a contribution in it from Charlie Kelly. I honestly think, that if the target could have been achieved and those archives opened up, it would feed the interest in what now really is starting to feel like our (dare i say it) "Scene", is on a slow down.

The information, history, facts, files, stories, pictures, if could be digitized recorded, not only would it be amazing, im sure would kickstart and whole new wave of interest, a resurgence of interest here for sure, even add another new/aspect to our sport and industry. Especially here in the UK.

Re:

I'm obviously missing something.
While I like this I don't see the value. It's clearly in excellent condition but does that make it so valuable?
I have a 1983 Nishiki Bushwacker . Constructed in Japan for Norco with same tubes I believe , same groupset and same Nitto bars.
Could do with paint and bars re-chromed but I'm using it everyday so that's not on the cards.
It cost me £20 a few months ago

Condition is everything for sure, but It’s not really valuable, just that MF means a lot to a few folk here, so still has a level of interest in the UK that a Nishiki will never match, and in any event £20 what you got was a massive bargain. You would easy get £100 for that if yo7 sold it well

Re:

OK guys...well just to put everyone's mind at rest, it isn't going to be broken for parts and it certainly isn't going to be back up for sale for a while. To put this in context, I bought my first Muddy Fox and first MTB/ATB back in '84, when I could only afford the cheaper Adventurer (although I did treat myself to the Deluxe model with triple chainset and bullmoose bars). When I saw this one, I initially thought it was the (completely out of my budget at the time) Pathfinder of the same vintage, but having got a few extra details and photos from the seller just had to have this one in my small, but perfectly formed, collection of mid-80's MTBs. So far, I've rid it off those pointless rubber brake boots, the tyres and that awful sofa (apparently the original saddle and seatpost were stolen last year). Yep, it went for a bit more than I expected, and far too close to my limit for comfort, but I'm afraid I'd set my heart on it just a little bit too much!!! I'll post better photos once I get it out in daylight, but for now rest assured it is much loved....

Attachments

• IMG_20180207_190223206_20180207233229693.jpg
    IMG_20180207_190223206_20180207233229693.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 407
Cost, price, worth, value, age, beauty, etc. etc.

All a bit subjective.

"Bids 26 Bidders 6"

Didn't follow the bidding so don't know how early the other 4 dropped out, but at least 2 people considered it was worth over £300 to them.

Classic, interesting bit of history, good condition, hours of enjoyment for new owner.

I'm sure many people on here have heard "How much?? You could buy a car for that!" Probably long before £1,000 became a common price for a new bike.

A neighbour has a car that he paid £40k for a few years ago. Could sell it for about the same today. He drives it s few hundred miles a year.

He didn't buy it as an investment or his primary means of transport.

Re:

Congrats to pbmj01!

Not many like that about.

I'm sure you will but hang on to those brake boots! Not for using but they certainly help it retain its original charm.

Back