MTB or classic vintage road frame for roadster project?

GOLDIETHEDOG

Retro Newbie
Hi, i'm new here and used to rebuild my own skip find bikes 20years ago and now return for new adventures.

I wont lie when I'm after something like a Pashley Morgan 8 or a path racer but they do look uncomfortable for my very tall bod!

So I've 2 line of thoughts right now.

Option 1: Strip down my rigid 23" 1998 Rockhopper and give it some new hubs of choice on 26" rims. I'd likely add a front hub brake and a rear Shimano internal gear and retain the V brakes on the rear. MY BIG QUESTION HERE :) Am i able to replace the rigid front forks that are a straight design to something that is curved like the Morgan 8 has? Which measurements do i need to know to do this? Reason for this option is that the frame is good, its large and it appears strong for my 15 stones!

Option 2: Buy a vintage Rudge/BSA pre 1950's and use it as the basis for the build. Would need a large frame and would look for 28" wheels as well as the desired rake angle. Would possibly use an original SA 4 speed hub and new 28" rim and a front hub brake on a new rim.

For now Option 2 is the one that i know is possible but is it strong enough? Will it be large enough? Whats the largest frames from that era in general?

Thanks for having me :)

Back