MRP loveliness (16th July)

IbocProSX":1z6ghk8o said:
and BTW it's Holland ;)

:oops:

Standish, I've just been out to have a look at the Mavics. I can confirm they are 32 spoke wheels.

Will do photos of the crank tomorrow, after it stops raining. ;)

Why am I doing this?

I'll start with a bit of background.
I ride one bike at a time, and because I live on a narrowboat with a 19' x 6' cabin, I can't keep the number of machines I once had. There was 8 at one point, my landlady at the time hated me. I used to bring other people's home to wind her up. ;)
My long suffering dad is lovely, and he's given me free storage for years by way of a garage with really secure doors. But now, he's winding up his business, and converting the garage into a flat that he'll move into, so he can rent out his house. So the available space has dropped to 2 bikes, a few tools, and a small selection of parts. :cry:
With this in mind, I am now offering:
17. My very rare and very special 1949 Raleigh Clubman. This is a project that now can't happen. It's a proper club bike, from the glory days of club cycling. Don't let the looks of this bike fool you, it is fast. The 100 mile record was set on one of these in 1951, and stood unbroken for the next 34 years. :shock:
Here's the spec:

* Frame: Reynolds 531 throughout, with pencil stays and special cutaway lugwork
* Fork: Custom Raleigh 2030
* Size: 23" c-t
* Wheels: Dunlop 26 x 1 1/4 (n.b this is not the same thing as mountain bike 26 inch, it's a narrower, faster, more road-oriented tyre)
* Sturmey-Archer FM 4 speed hub, medium ratio
* Lighting: Sturmey-Archer dynohub front wheel powering front and rear lights
* Original features: Original cellulose mudguards, Raleigh "sports" pedals, hard-to-find Raleigh calipers, wheels.
* Weight: 29 lbs all in.

The hub needs rebuilding, which isn't hard to do but as I no longer have a workshop I can't do for you. Sturmey hubs are easy to work on once you've taken them apart. Or it would make an excellent fixie, but you never heard me say that!
It's a rare bike, in good condition considering it's 60 years old. This is probably my favourite bike, it's a proper wrench for me to get rid of it, but I can't keep it.
Since this photo was done, I fitted new, correct maes handlebars replaced the chain and gear cables, and cleaned its paintwork. I'll do better photos today.
I'm keeping this now. It's mine, and I like it. May be broken for parts at some point in the future, or sold with a fixed gear option, but there'll have to be a demand for that.
I can send this anywhere in the world just as easily as the UK.

I'll take the Alloy accents breakaway bolt please

I dont think i'd ever use it ,it's just their description cracks me up and it would be a shame to open it :D

Today, I shall add:

18. A diamondback BMX ashtabula-type BB, brand new and resplendent in original box. I don't really do BMXs, I bought this by accident thinking it was a headset. And the best bit? You can have it for karma + postage.. Go on, fix your kiddies bikes.

19. My handpainted gold Mtrax. This is the bike Jimmy Saville would own if he wanted a pushbike. ;)
I bought it as a hand stripped frame, and was going to make a cheap SS thing with it, but I just have too many projects on the go.
It is STUPID light. The chainstay bridge is only attached on one side, which is deliberate - the empty side had a coating of the original paint over the end, while the other was really nicely brazed; it definitely hasn't got any structural importance.
Raleigh wanted you to still be able to attach mudguards, god bless 'em. Don't you miss their eccentricity! Clearance for really big 26x2.1 tyres, and 135mm spacing.
This is the lightest frame you will ever get for £30 posted SOLD!.

777 views before I show you:
21. My Cinelli workstand. Will hold a bike rock steady for working on. And it's a Cinelli! It's rusty, but 100% functional, and the only one I've ever seen. £60 posted, because I've never seen another, and it's brilliant. Here it is holding my big, beefy Raleigh Clubman steady:

EDIT - not sure why, but I put the wrong price in on this. It's £60 posted, not £130.

And today, a pair of DX pedals in black. A bit scuffed and scarred, but the bearings are sound and the Deore DX pedal is bloody marvellous. Proper bit of cycling history, these. £9 posted.

Back