Mountain Goat Deluxe

Thanks for the comments, everyone

I am not the original owner, but I purchased the frame and some components from him last summer. He related that he had received it by mistake after ordering a Whiskeytown Racer, but upon inspection, he wanted to keep it and was able to arrange it with Mountain Goat. So he did not order it with the lower brake, but it must have been an option at the time. He told me that he road it actively with a couple of different builds over time, but it went into storage for years except during when he used it as wall art at a café he had in Mexico.

I live in Chico and a friend and I, who did not have Mountain Goats already, got the fever and started actively looking. I saw this frame had been on Craigslist SF and LA for a while so I met with him in Davis to look it over. The seller was a nice guy and it was pretty easy to buy upon inspection, as it is just beautiful. I took it by Russ Pickett’s place to talk maintenance going forward and he was pretty impressed with it condition as well.

I’m responsible for the build. As said, while a rider, I have not been a connoisseur so just began my collection by leaning toward an M900 set up because it came out in 1992. The remainder has been a road between timing, utility and cost. At some point I had purchased enough different stems, bars and posts but not getting exactly what I wanted through lack of knowledge or whatever, that I had to tell myself to relax, just put it together and start riding it. So I did. I have ridden a combination of Zmax front and Velocoraptor rear tires since forever, but could not get the 2.1 Velocaraptor to work with the roller cam brake so I went with these narrow tires figuring that they are more consistent with its proposed use going forward.

I am content with it and expect it to be this way for the foreseeable future, so I entered it into the contest. While people may not like the way it’s built up, maybe the paint will carry it over, who knows.

hollister":3dyo41b2 said:
the frame set was on craiglist for a while. I'm glad to see the purple bits gone, but that build just looks all wrong on that bike. sorry, but its true.

someone here has the matching yuppie paint stem you need on a goat of a different color(assuming the stem hasn't been repainted yet)

i love the frame, and the paint is sensational.....is that the name for it, the Yuppie paint job.... :shock:

I am in agreement, spec is nice too, but i really expected to see slighty older components, amberwall tyres etc, which led me to ask if it was indeed a 92 model...? it looks more 89/90 to me, i always thought the deluxe was cantis and suspension corrected by late 91/92 model year.

:shock: cant take it away though, classy bike.... :cool:

I want it, badly!

This reminds me of Magnum p.i.! Put a Hawaiian shirt on and go cruisin'...

Cheers Dan

huhue":33x3egkh said:
I want it, badly!

This reminds me of Magnum p.i.! Put a Hawaiian shirt on and go cruisin'...

Cheers Dan

I dont know why but it reminds me of Blackpool, the pleasure beach and sticks of rock as a kid.

What better reason can there be for liking something.

sinnerman":3s8js0p9 said:
I dont know why but it reminds me of Blackpool, the pleasure beach and sticks of rock as a kid.

What better reason can there be for liking something.

O.K. last summer in Newquay for me then... ;)

I'm glad your riding it. The build is down to the owner. I've seen a lot worse. At least you didn't fit V brake to the front. :x

A matching stem would be perhaps over kill??

A lovely bike with a wonderful paint job.

ndaand":24lr501w said:
Thanks for the comments, everyone

I am not the original owner, but I purchased the frame and some components from him last summer. He related that he had received it by mistake after ordering a Whiskeytown Racer, but upon inspection, he wanted to keep it and was able to arrange it with Mountain Goat. So he did not order it with the lower brake, but it must have been an option at the time. He told me that he road it actively with a couple of different builds over time, but it went into storage for years except during when he used it as wall art at a café he had in Mexico.

I live in Chico and a friend and I, who did not have Mountain Goats already, got the fever and started actively looking. I saw this frame had been on Craigslist SF and LA for a while so I met with him in Davis to look it over. The seller was a nice guy and it was pretty easy to buy upon inspection, as it is just beautiful. I took it by Russ Pickett’s place to talk maintenance going forward and he was pretty impressed with it condition as well.

I’m responsible for the build. As said, while a rider, I have not been a connoisseur so just began my collection by leaning toward an M900 set up because it came out in 1992. The remainder has been a road between timing, utility and cost. At some point I had purchased enough different stems, bars and posts but not getting exactly what I wanted through lack of knowledge or whatever, that I had to tell myself to relax, just put it together and start riding it. So I did. I have ridden a combination of Zmax front and Velocoraptor rear tires since forever, but could not get the 2.1 Velocaraptor to work with the roller cam brake so I went with these narrow tires figuring that they are more consistent with its proposed use going forward.

I am content with it and expect it to be this way for the foreseeable future, so I entered it into the contest. While people may not like the way it’s built up, maybe the paint will carry it over, who knows.

Cheers for sharing that with us, i am a big fan of Mountain goat, and the condition of this is certainly a credit to you and the previous keeper, and it really is encouraging to hear you have built it as a rider and for what it was intended for.

TOP JOB my friend..... :cool:

Back