Mount Tam clunker

Gravity Karma":29gmea07 said:
I REALLY want one of those frames to build up - it's a pity the import duty is so high...

:(

Import duty... have a vacuum cleaner emptied on it, have it specced as old frame (it is) and as gift. Result: nada duties. At least it worked for me.

Repack Rider":3kfwpzsz said:
Your "skiptooth" (inch-pitch) sprocket is what we used to call a "heart and star" chainring.

Back in the day when Gary and Alan and I shared a house and were phasing out inch pitch, we had a number of them hanging from nails on our porch.

Because, of course, they were worthless, but in a house where bikes were the only cultural artifact and virtually the only subject of conversation, they made nice decorations.

Later, we met some girls. My wife no longer allows me to nail chainrings to the wall, hang my bike from the living room ceiling, and set up a work bench (with grinder, truing stand and vise) in the dining room.

Maybe that's why there are no girls on this website.

That's the 52T which I have been riding with...strictly downhill though I can get it up a small incline even in my poor shape, we called 'em "Sweethearts". The 44T I just scored off the ebay is likely a Colson model - mostly solid disc with curved slots. I might hit Jer up if I want the Schwinn 44T skip sprocket with the 4 holes we used to call a "clover leaf". Or completely copy Alan's blue bike and go with 1/2" chain, 3 piece cranks and have more choices (like 46T) for sprockets...but there would go another few hundred in vintage parts (plus time to collect) plus how many skip tooth 2 speeds are there?

Alan's the new batchelor now, I like what he's done with the upstairs room ...maybe time to nail some old parts on the wall up there :D

Wow...

I love this site - that is a whole different world of Retro and it's great to see.

I just love bikes.

Made some changes, also have a T1200 fork in the kit bag to swap on soon.

SCHWINN stamped Ashtabula stem...rare as hen's teeth.

ls_03.jpg

NOS Magura shorty from the 70s.

ls_02.jpg

Skull Skates cruiser bars on top.

ls_04.jpg

ls_02112010.jpg

Cool bike :cool:

Question - is it always clear at the top of mount tam and misty around the bottom ? Virtualy ever picture a see, and the ones I took would suggest it is :LOL:

WD :D

WD Pro":2vl4aix4 said:
Cool bike :cool:

Question - is it always clear at the top of mount tam and misty around the bottom ? Virtualy ever picture a see, and the ones I took would suggest it is :LOL:

WD :D

Every ride is different on Tam - even on the same day. Nature is wonderful. But yes - most days you get above the fog about halfway and you are looking down on a snowy blanket while basking in the rays.

.........i never thought i would see such cool, clunkers/cruisers, being posted, on here....when i thought about putting a pic on, after a beach ride last sunday..!!!!!!!!!......and i am so glad i did, just to read, the thread, is awesum, you are very lucky living in such a cool place, it must be awesum.....its certainly on the top of my list of places to ride, and we have been planning it for next season......, tell me are there plenty of places around that will allow us to hire a ride, for a week???? at the moment the group are all intending to take our own bikes......but it is costly?......p.s, your bikes are awesum :D :shock: :cool: :shock: :D :cool: :cool: :mrgreen:

I am glad someone dug this thread up again. I found a nice DX survivor with good paint. I have a sturmey drum, TA cranks, old honda 305 motorbike levers and some cool cross brace bars already. If I ever finish my Elgin it should be a fun build.
IMG_4017.jpg

I don't know if you guys have tried it yet but Jeff's (jwesty) seat post clamp drum brake mod is awesome. It makes the front brake feel so much better with no play, lever feel is much more solid.
IMG_3308.jpg

Amazing bike, history and evolutionary thread.

I actually feel humble sometimes on this site.

Sorry for the stupid question but how did you manage to fit those bars on that stem ?
You didn't spread it open, did you ????

Back