Mount Tam clunker

Classic ride
xyxthumbs.gif

exceptionally nice rig :D

been a long 6yrs since I was on mount tam. my mate tinka crashed his brains out which makes it all the more memorable :D :LOL:

Here's a "before" shot of the bike - I still have the tasty Lodbell hoops in the garage for a townie project but they are too rare and clean for dirt duty. The forged stem and Morrow came with the bike - factory hot rod options or owner upgrades. The fenders and fork were off a 41-ish bike by my best guess.

414.jpg

Yes, riding such a heavy underbraked and RIGID steed down the hill requires a certain level of ... commitment ... :D Gravity is your friend (can't fight it), working a coaster requires you have things sorted and your feet in a good position well ahead of the corner but when you lift WOW things happen quick. The Sturmey works pretty well after several passes in the drum with some emory cloth - from the factory even the 90mm version is barely able to slow you on the flats. Hence the moto lever and cable for the leverage and the weekly scuffing to gain friction.

I have to say you folks have some FINE rides, I'm going to have to bone up my 80s stuff to try and fit in - another project I have is getting my 91 KHS riding again and I may have an 80s breezer or fisher or ritchey going depending on who I can talk out of things collecting dust.

Absolutely authentic

Good on ya to consult Alan Bonds. No one built nicer bikes than he, and this is the best effort I have seen outside of Alan's to recapture that era.

I was going to identify the photo site as Gate Five, but you beat me to it.

I expect to see you orbiting around the Larkspur Fourth of July parade on it.

Re: Absolutely authentic

Repack Rider":3fwt2siu said:
Good on ya to consult Alan Bonds. No one built nicer bikes than he, and this is the best effort I have seen outside of Alan's to recapture that era.

I was going to identify the photo site as Gate Five, but you beat me to it.

I expect to see you orbiting around the Larkspur Fourth of July parade on it.

Thanks CK! Joe pointed me to Alan who has fast become a mentor. I have started a tribute site for Alan www.clunkers.net there should be more info and bike pics going up through the winter as his projects progress.

...I also have a 38 C which just got fitted with a Chris King BMX headset so a certain Marzocchi has a new home, details on that baby to follow (and it will include Alan's paint skills, not a nice original paint job like the La Salle) but you know Alan's red Nexus hubbed bike - shooting for something like that.

Re: Absolutely authentic

tam_shadow":1cjb6zmn said:
Thanks CK! Joe pointed me to Alan who has fast become a mentor. I have started a tribute site for Alan www.clunkers.net there should be more info and bike pics going up through the winter as his projects progress.

...I also have a 38 C which just got fitted with a Chris King BMX headset so a certain Marzocchi has a new home, details on that baby to follow (and it will include Alan's paint skills, not a nice original paint job like the La Salle) but you know Alan's red Nexus hubbed bike - shooting for something like that.

I have a page for Alan on my own website.

Made a couple changes lately - added tube forks (don't want to risk Vendetti-izing the truss forks :D ), Odyssey Dynatron 24tpi BB and Excalibur 175mm 1-piece cranks - old shool BMX bits for the rider.

36_tf01.jpg

Currently have a 44T skiptooth sprocket and collecting parts to adapt a Bendix 2-speed lever shifted hub to 1" pitch chain waiting to go on next...so this might make it UP the Railroad Grade as well as it goes down.

I REALLY want one of those frames to build up - it's a pity the import duty is so high...

:(

Your "skiptooth" (inch-pitch) sprocket is what we used to call a "heart and star" chainring.

Back in the day when Gary and Alan and I shared a house and were phasing out inch pitch, we had a number of them hanging from nails on our porch.

Because, of course, they were worthless, but in a house where bikes were the only cultural artifact and virtually the only subject of conversation, they made nice decorations.

Later, we met some girls. My wife no longer allows me to nail chainrings to the wall, hang my bike from the living room ceiling, and set up a work bench (with grinder, truing stand and vise) in the dining room.

Maybe that's why there are no girls on this website.

Back