More Campag queries....

Meejoir

Retro Guru
Good morning people, having solved my long cage/triple chainset query I am again calling upon your expertise! I'm a newbie as far as refurbs go (2nd project) and even more so regarding Campag components.

It's relatively simple. I have a pair of 9 speed Mirage shifters (post 2001) and I am finding it incredibly difficult to pick up a reasonably priced rear mech, and finding a long cage version makes it even trickier.

My query is this, would I be able to fit a 10 speed rear mech and would it be compatible with my 9 speed shifters? Or does 9 speed mean 9 speed?

I must admit, I'm starting to curse the day these 9 speed Mirage shifters came into my life!

Thanks in advance.

I'm speaking from "theory" rather than "experience", but ten speed cassette spacing and chains are narrower than nine, so I would expect your chain would scrape the jockey wheel cage plates.

My guess is that if you changed the jockey wheels to nine speed, this would re-space the cage suitably.

As I said, this is theory but it gives you a line of enquiry...

Thanks ScillySuffolk. Just to clarify the whole set up for you.

Mirage 9 speed shifters
Veloce triple crankset 52/40/30
Veloce triple front mech

I was assuming a 9 speed veloce cassette, but would a 10 speed rear mech (say Mirage/Veloce) be compatible?

A 10-speed derailleur works fine with a 9-speed set up but to muddy the waters further you need to ensure you're not mixing pre 2001 kit with post 2001 kit as Campagnolo changed the geometry of their rear derailleurs and thus made them incompatible.

"In 2001 Campagnolo changed the geometry of their 9 speed rear derailleur. Current Campagnolo 9 or 10 speed rear derailleurs will NOT work with pre-2001 Ergo levers unless you upgrade the internal Ergo Index Gear to a current 9 speed model. If you do upgrade, you will be rewarded with quicker and more precise shifting. 2001 to current, 9 speed rear derailleurs, can easily be upgraded to 10 speed by simply replacing the 9 speed pulley wheels with 10 speed ones".

Meejoir":3e7slwam said:
...I was assuming a 9 speed veloce cassette, but would a 10 speed rear mech (say Mirage/Veloce) be compatible?
Yes, subject to new jockey wheels (see Agent Orange's post).

The change in cable pull ratios (in 2001) was because of the introduction of ten speed, so all ten speed kit is compatible with post-2001 nine speed, which is what you have.

Cheers for that guys, it's very much appreciated and makes my RD search that much easier. Everything I have is post 2001, so I'm laughing....he said.

The pre 01 compatibility issue is theoretical not real. My 8 speed ergos work fine with a turn of this decade rear mech.
My 05 10 speed shifters work happily with a 9 speed mech. They even work with a 70's SR mech.
Not saying its universal but you might keep and eye open for 99p auctions on ebay, bung in a 2 quid offer and get a decent mech for a fiver. Bet it will work and it can be sold again for that or more if it doesn't.

You can fit any model - if you go narrower (10/11) you MIGHT need to swap to 9spd jockey wheels, which is cheap and quick (That will widen the cage plates by virtue of them being bolted through the jockey wheels). I'm currently running a Centaur 10 mech on a 9spd setup with no changes on my commuter

Latest posts

Back