Monkey business

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
First Parcelmonkey made my life a living hell

Then I received my karate monkey from parcel monkey and it had pizza cutters for brakes

Now Monkey pox is a global health emergency

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start this monkey business

'I got monkeypox and it’s been a total nightmare.'

I am sorry, I didn't mean to start it. I even had my hopes up that a positive side to this curse I've started meant that I'd meet chaps from The Who. But the men in white coats were not musically inclined. :mad:

I am sorry, I didn't mean to start it. I even had my hopes up that a positive side to this curse I've started meant that I'd meet chaps from The Who. But the men in white coats were not musically inclined. :mad:
But at least your Karate Monkey is here. I've fancied one of those for a while, but I can't afford it at the moment (and I already have too many bikes anyway). What colour did you get? I like the purple colour they did a while back, but you can't get that anymore.

But at least your Karate Monkey is here. I've fancied one of those for a while, but I can't afford it at the moment (and I already have too many bikes anyway). What colour did you get? I like the purple colour they did a while back, but you can't get that anymore.
Black, I'm boring like that. Got it for fairly decent price in the UK, but the shipping was a pain as you can imagine.

Its a '12 which is before they started messing with geometry and head tube sizing, I find that most pre 2015 stuff by Surly is the best.

Next year I've got my eyes on building up a Pugsley. Although it's between that and getting Marino bikes to custom build a Pugsley like frame and me making it a bit my own.

But yeah I love the KM, there's a distinct flex to it which I really like. It is therefor not the greatest climber but its got a really smooth ride. I do mostly ride gravelly fireroads with interjections of singletrack. To negate some of the flex I've got a very rigid set of mx bars on the front.

Krampus and KM are both very smooth riding.

If I were you I'd look for an early KM in your preferred colour or find one that's a wee bit ratty and get it powdercoated.

My 3 Surly's are definitely my most fun bikes to ride. I have a very early 1x1, KM and a Cross Check.

Also, despite being a certified Surly fanboy I'd never tell a person to buy the frameset new for a ridiculous price. Get a used frameset or a whole bike and change as you go.

As I've said when I had a little exchange about Surly with Woz, what makes them fantastic bike is the solid geometries they offer, tyre clearance and sturdiness. Oh and the fact that they're always catering to us singlespeeders. In regards to tubesets and what not its of course pretty vanilla and boring, hence the outlay for a new frameset is just not justifiable.

Back