Modern stuff breaks !

Re:

I do not think that there are many parts on a bike I have not cracked/broken at some time are the other over the years.
Seat posts , bolts and saddle rails all to often :shock: Not easy to ride 10 miles with out sitting down :roll:
One reason i will will not ride on old alloy bars :facepalm:
As for modern stuff . I have had a titainuim frame frame fail on the top tube . 10 speed chains snapped.

Modern chains are made of cheese. 2 x Red 22 have bent a link (second time, it pretty well wrecked the bike), and I've snapped a 7900 10-speed chain with nothing but the immense power of my twiglet legs. Compare to the heft and robustness of a half-decent 7-speed chain, never mind 1/2" single-speed chain.

Re:

SKS P35 mudguards last 6-12 months round here - the vibration from rough tarmac makes them crack across the width where the stays attach.

I've had a couple of seatpin binder bolts go pop while the bike was just parked. This is particularly annoying when the bike is a fixie and you have to ride it 6 miles home, standing up, including downhills. The Campag binder bolts can travel a very long way when they snap.

Re:

I had a seat post snap on my fixed, a modern pin and not much more than 12mths old.I was cruising with hands on the tops and was suddenly sitting on the rear guard.Couldnt move a hand to grab the break so had to slow down gradually. Ride to the nearest station to continue to work.

Back