Modern Klein Serial Numbers

It could be. I don't know much about project one paint jobs though - probably because I never really gave much of a care to custom paint - until I saw this one.

I have a 'Custom bike sign off' card which has the initials of the painter among others (which is B.F by the way).

Cheers,

Well, basically a similar program to trek's Project One, but it was Klein's own. Klein offered variety of different paint schemes for additional price. Amongst the most expensive ones were the "24 hours" paints that glow in the dark. The Bones paintjob was a winner of a customer contest where people designed different colour schemes and if I remember correctly, 3 best were chosen for production.

But as was the case with vintage Kleins as well, there was no connection with a paintjob type and frame serial number. However, I suggest that you should contact Trek/Klein and ask them about how many of this paintjob were made.

Thanks very much for your information.

The bloke I bought it from said that he'd ordered it directly from Klein in the U.S when he'd heard a rumour that Klein weren't going to be selling in the UK any more back in 2004 (he worked in my LBS which used to be a Klein dealer). He said he was going to build it up but he couldn't bring himself to risk damaging it. I'm at that stage right now, although I keep looking at and wondering how it would look and ride fully tricked out, I'm too worried that I might stack it on it and ruin a perfect example of something very, very rare. Saying that, I do have an Orange Five that seems to meet my every need at the moment.

I'll see if I can get in touch with Trek. Would you be able to point me in the right direction in the way of who or what department I should approach?

Thanks again

Sorry but can't help you with that. You should probably look at Trek's website if you can find some contact information from there. Klein's website is basically non-existent nowadays.

Back