Mmmm...pretty bad clamping marks on Carbon bars

dyna-ti":39zffohm said:
:shock: Sod getting carbon

I'll stick to allloy thanks

How about wrapping the area under the clamp with some thin metal sheeting,it might spread the load a bit better :?

I've got quite a few carbon bars, and that's not typical.

HB - why not try Trek / Bontrager UK. If nothing else they'd probably be interested as a failure example - if indeed they have failed.

Crell":37kzrg68 said:
dyna-ti":37kzrg68 said:

How about wrapping the area under the clamp with some thin metal sheeting,it might spread the load a bit better :?

I've got quite a few carbon bars, and that's not typical.

HB - why not try Trek / Bontrager UK. If nothing else they'd probably be interested as a failure example - if indeed they have failed.

I agree Crell...never seen that on a carbon bar before hence this post...I think I will contact Bontrager UK.

Cheers, Carl

dyna-ti":10jynf83 said:

Yeah cos alloy doesn't suffer catastroffic failure does it?! :D

I have seen this once before on a ec70 road bar (standard size) which was lacquered....

It was essentially cosmetic damage
but it did go in the bin all the same.

;]

And the reply from Bontrager

Carl,

Thanks for writing. I've seen something similar to that before though
never to that degree. Typically it is just marring of the clear coat
but that is deep enough that it would make me uncomfortable and I'm
afraid I cannot suggest that it be used for possible safety reasons.

Ride on,

Chris Long|Trek Bicycle Corporation 801 W. Madison Street, Waterloo, WI
53594|Technical Services

:?

I wouldn't have a problem using that, Trek were always going to say not to use it to cover their backs ;)

The material thats been damaged is just a cosmetic coating very similar to plasticote.

Mine did exactly the same :? I torqued mine up correctly but for the first few weeks I had to keep torquing them up to keep them tight as the plastic layer was deforming underneath the clamp :? so although I was keeping the same torque setting they would still tighten slightly after each ride :shock:

My mate has them on his bike now and there's almost no coating on them anymore as he picks bits off it on every ride :LOL: he's had them 6 months now and looks and rides like a gorilla so they can't be that weakened :LOL:

Back