Mixture of shimano components on walvale??

That's way past my sell by date LOL

By then the "groupset" was starting to get well established and would start to hunt out a DA matching set LOL

Looking at my 70's Avatar there is a mix of Campag, Shimano, Suzue, Sugino, Tange, Kyokuoto.........and the rest :)

Shaun

Midlife":15bp669j said:
Looking at my 70's Avatar there is a mix of Campag, Shimano, Suzue, Sugino, Tange, Kyokuoto.........and the rest :)

Careful Shaun, you'll be giving some of your fellow forum members apoplexy with comments like that. ;)

SNight: I know nothing about older road bikes, but if you look at modern production bikes, it is common for certain components to be used in order to get the complete bike to a 'price point', the worst offender currently is Boardman where you can see a right mish-mash of parts.

With custom mtb's in the 80's and 90's, it was also common to have maybe Ritchey brakes and levers and then Campag or Shimano shifters and mechs, this was usually down to a combination of budget, practicality and weight.

SNight":3czlmom2 said:
Old Ned":3czlmom2 said:
SNight":3czlmom2 said:
Midlife":3czlmom2 said:
Wouldn't that Walvale have ben supplied as a frame only? if so then people would have been free to fit whatever they liked or could afford....

Shaun
Midlife, you've just made me think actually, as a reply to tel saying it being "off the peg", Id imagine that it wasnt an off the peg frame as C&G mentioned that the seat stays were engraved before the frame was essembled, so id assume the frame was made up as a special order?? I may be wrong.

So midlife may be correct in saying that the who ever the frame was intended for had the choice of which components to fit?

More than likely. People fitted what they wanted, was available - or could afford! BITD there was no slavishly fitting exact 'groupsets'. Most bikes were a mish-mash of different brands and levels. Can't remember who it was that built Walvale frames (Bill Whitcomb?)

Norman Roberts was the frame builder. The bloke I spoke to at C&G (should have got his name, he was really helpfull) says he is still building the odd frame, although he has not been in the best of health recently, and that he would probably still know who he built it for if he told him the details of the frame!

Yes, I forgot about Norman being the builder. He was still working for C&G until quite recently doing repairs etc.

When my friends and I bought or build in the mid-eighties we never used full groupsets, we always mixed what we liked or could afford. I had a bike with different flavours of Shimano, my closest friend rode Campagnolo Victory cranks with Mavic rear derailleur and shift levers, ultegra brakeset...
I recently bought a Koga Miyata, they came out of the factory with a lot of different componentes.
To me a full groupset its not very 'real'

El Juli":1uvcsif2 said:
When my friends and I bought or build in the mid-eighties we never used full groupsets, we always mixed what we liked or could afford. I had a bike with different flavours of Shimano, my closest friend rode Campagnolo Victory cranks with Mavic rear derailleur and shift levers, ultegra brakeset...
I recently bought a Koga Miyata, they came out of the factory with a lot of different componentes.
To me a full groupset its not very 'real'

They where the lines I was thinking along, im doing this bike to ride and I do have a budjet, so like you say, if I can only afford a 600 seatpost or 600 brakes, then its still going to be acceptable as originally it could have been set up like that.

A full dura ace would be good tho.........

Ooof! This thread is making my eyes water with all this talk of mixing group parts :cry:

Failing having a complete DA group I'd go for a full 600 group ;) Selling the DA parts to help fund it.

Anyway we're still waiting for pics....

Back